Beware of School Service Supplies - sounds like a scam!

I recently spoke to a friend of mine telling me he had a call from the above company. They told him that they will be the new organisation for supplying contractors to schools when they change their name to academies. The council and their organisations which I think is still called Alito procurement will no longer offer tenders to approved contractors under £50000.00, and that Schools Service Supplies will need to be contacted to supply contractors for any work up to this amount.

They say they don't want any commission or up front fees but are asking for just £500.00 per year to be on an exclusive tender list with a post code coverage. And they also asked him did he know that heat pumps and multi splits were the future of heating buildings and that their sales are on the increase!

They sound very much like the Big Green Book that were phoning firms up a few years back and asking if they could handle at least 10 installs a month of air con, central heating, rewires, roofing etc. Then after speaking to them further it turned out to be nothing more than an advertising website that probably has a low search result profile when typing in repair or install services.

Anyone else had the same or similar call from them?

Training may be finished but experience is never complete.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: Beware of School Service Supplies - sounds like a scam!

Just check out their website, it seems they maintain a book of contractors. Nothing unique in that but their approach seems suspect.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

A search result has come up with a blog from another forum saying that they had paid £500.00 and got no response from it.

Just another online advertising publication option being over sold, I bet their sales pitch is good and sounds credible until it comes to them asking for money

Definitely to be avoided.
    Training may be finished but experience is never complete.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

^^Agreed^^
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015