Thread: Empty NH3?

Question Empty NH3?

Hello,
    I have to fix a NH3 plant next week. For this I have to drain 20 kg of NH3. Whats the best way to do this? Slowly bubbling a hose with refrigerant into a large bucket of water?
    Thank you very much

Re: Empty NH3?

That’s the usual way to remove NH3, unless you can pump the charge over into another part of the system to isolate it.
    Always wear gloves and protective goggles for safety and have a respirator handy . Also while the gas is being drained keep hold of the pipe , and if it starts to snatch (suck the water from the bucket) simply pull the hose out from the water and wait until the water sprays out from the hose , then put the hose back into the water, if it still tries to snatch the water reduce the gas flow by closing the vent valve . Never leave the hose alone until it’s exhausted all the gas (no more bubbles) so that water doesn’t enter the system , also beware that even when the bubbles stop when you start disassembling the last NH3 will often appear from somewhere in the pipework especially if the pipework is cold . Treat ammonia like electricity always double check as you pull things apart it can suddenly be in your face even when no pressure is in the system
    Keep safe

20kg is a lot of ammonia to blow into water, then what to do with the water!
    You cannot pour down the drain.
    What do you have to do to this system to do that?
    What kind of system is it, small, medium, large, can you pump it down to somewhere else?
    I don’t think you’re boss can ask you to do that legally, as correct tools like transfer pumps etc should be used.
    Last edited by RANGER1; 26-08-2018 at 10:04 PM.

dear Wewantyou
    As Ranger1 wrote, Pour the water/ ammonia mixture in the sewer system could be a big problem.
    I recomed (wrote for Glenn Moore)to flood some ammonia componente like condensers, ammonia trap or receiver with liquid ammonia and blow the ammonia gas inside the pipes to a water container or to the atmosfer it should be a very little amount
    You could also use a empty container, used to make up ammonia , to pump liquid into it