Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Protect Your Ears

I hope that I'm not turning into a grumpy old man but can I please remind you all to protect your hearing.

I have finally admitted that my hearing was not as good as it should be so had a hearing test and am now the proud owner of a pair of the finest digital hearing aids available via our wonderful NHS.

The improvement in sound quality surprised me i have to admit.

Now some of this hearing loss is no doubt due to age, I'm 70, but I'm certain that most of it is due to working in machine rooms and around chillers without wearing any form of hearing protection. Towards the end of my working life I was more careful and always used good quality ear defenders whenever the sound levels went up.

So please remember that loud noises can break the little hairs in your ears that generate the sound for your brain. When that hair is broken it DOES NOT REGROW, it has gone forever.

Sorry to nag but it is so easy to stop this damage to yourself.

Be safe out there folks, it's your life.
    Last edited by Brian_UK; 19-05-2018 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Spelling of course.

Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Re: Protect Your Ears

I beg your pardon?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_UK View Post
    I hope that I'm not turning into a grumpy old man but can I please remind you all to protect your hearing.

I have finally admitted that my hearing was not as good as it should be so had a hearing test and am now the proud owner of a pair of the finest digital hearing aids available via our wonderful NHS.

The improvement in sound quality surprised me i have to admit.

Now some of this hearing loss is no doubt due to age, I'm 70, but I'm certain that most of it is due to working in machine rooms and around chillers without wearing any form of hearing protection. Towards the end of my working life I was more careful and always used good quality ear defenders whenever the sound levels went up.

So please remember that loud noises can break the little hairs in your ears that generate the sound for your brain. When that hair is broken it DOES NOT REGROW, it has gone forever.

Sorry to nag but it is so easy to stop this damage to yourself.

Be safe out there folks, it's your life.
    Absolutly right.
    I have almost lost all of my hearing powers... Luckyli there good hearing aid tecnologies. For the price of a small BMW, you can get a pair...
    So nice to hear the birds in the morning, and that red warning light before you tighten your seat belt, never knew that it beeps too...
    protect your hearing, you might miss your grand kids when they call you.

Proud owner of the same NHS aids for the past 3 years. Same reasons as well...too many hours spent in noisy plantrooms without the defenders. Its all different nowadays but back in my time ear defenders were not provided or thought necessary.

Same problem here.
    But in the US we can have another issue not common to UK civilians.
    Large bore Handguns. No ear protection. Been too late for me for years.

Wise words Brian!
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

Hi Brian
    Couldn't agree more. We have hearing test every 2 years for those using hearing protection an a regular basis.
    I had my hearing checked about 3 years ago and have lost a bit over 10%, will have to get hearing aids eventually. I can still hear OK but it's certain frequencies I can't hear and also when in a crowd of people all talking I struggle to hear properly if having a conversation with someone.
    I continuously have to tell some of the younger guys to put ear protection on. Back when I was a lot younger hearing protection was only used in extremely noisy environment.
    I would suggest most people over 50 who have worked in noisy environments all their life would be the same.
    Regards
    Paul
    Born to fish, forced to work