Walk-in chill desiccant

Came across a small walk-in chill 2x2m +3C for general food storage, not in a kitchen or near a source of lots of humid air. But looks to have a laptop sized container with desiccant bags mounted on the roof. Just wondering if this is a common thing, Ive never seen or heard of it being done before.

Thanks.

Re: Walk-in chill desiccant

aaaaah.....the old desiccant in the coolroom sort of snake oil product. Quite prevalent here in NZ. Amazes me that businesses spent money on ****e like this but baulk at paying for proper maintenance of their gear.

Its supposed to be some amazing special silica clay, that can "control" the moisture in a coolrooms by using negative and positive ions. I don't deny that it gets rid of ceiling condensation in a coolroom, but controlling...no.

I actually took a local company here to Advertising Complaints Authority for false advertising, pretty much lost as they had a good marketing team that flooded the regulator with glowing customer testimonials and pretty much their own web page material at how it works. Couldn't be bothered after that.

They charge a monthly fee, and swap them out regularly. All they do to the removed units is put them in an oven for a bit, dry them out, then reuse.

Yup, I know, money for nothing.

Here's the website http://www.fridgrite.co.nz/ Seems to have changed names.
    Last edited by Goober; 20-04-2018 at 12:29 AM.

Re: Walk-in chill desiccant

Thanks Goober.

Sounds about right, Customer was paying £10 for it to be changed I think every month or three, cant remember.

Last edited by seanf; 20-04-2018 at 09:57 PM.