City and guilds F GAS or BESA f gas

Anyone say what's the best

Re: City and guilds F GAS or BESA f gas

City and Guilds is a closed book exam.
    Which once attained if for life!
    Or at least until the need for further training is determined.
    I don't know what BESA is? It used to be CITB when I did it which was renewable every 5 yrs. I believe.
    Maybe BESA has taken over from CITB.
    Their exam was always deemed easier as it is open book.
    Meaning you complete the exam with books and notes to refer to on the desk and available.

Grizzly
    Despite the High Cost of Living it still remains Popular!

City & Guilds is closed book online
    BESA is paper based open book
    LOGIC is open book online

LOGIC & BESA have a 5 yearly re-assessment system. the C&G doesn't operate the same but the current 2079 is 10 years old later this year and neither of their refrigerant qualifications have lasted that long before so your guess is as good as mine. But an F GAS ticket is an F GAS ticket regardless of which awarding body issued it

Thanks mate I'm going with the BESA

I have heard that the 2078 is being phased out, I don't know when but if it is you might get less than 5 years out of it. At least with the BESA or other one, you will get 5 years out of it.
    Training may be finished but experience is never complete.

I went with C&G when my CITB ran out last year. Although it was a closed book exam it wasn't that bad, if I can pass it there's hope for anyone.
    Sure it'll go out of date sometime but averaging out looks like it will mean less recertification. The classroom bit I'm fine with, the £500 cost certainly wasn't value for money.

Definitely not cheap at all. I'm doing a package course and it's costing just under 4k and that's not included the travel costs and digs and not to mention a quit my job to do it you can guess what the misses is saying

So any help would be appreciated

What are you getting for 4K ?

Air Conditioning BESA or City & Guilds – F Gas QualificationBESA or City & Guilds – Pipework & Brazing
    EAL Level 3 Unit – Maintenance of Refrigeration Systems
    City & Guilds – 2382-15 17th Edition Wiring Regulations
    City & Guilds 7543 – Basic Mobile Air Conditioning*(If requested prior to course commencement £50+VAT Exam Fee)
    City & Guilds 2392 – Fundamental Inspection & Testing
    City & Guilds 2393 – Building RegulationsCity & Guilds 2391-52 – Inspection and Testing*

Or if I f%%k it I'll be going up the road with nothing!!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Air Conditioning BESA or City & Guilds – F Gas QualificationBESA or City & Guilds – Pipework & Brazing
    EAL Level 3 Unit – Maintenance of Refrigeration Systems
    City & Guilds – 2382-15 17th Edition Wiring Regulations
    City & Guilds 7543 – Basic Mobile Air Conditioning*(If requested prior to course commencement £50+VAT Exam Fee)
    City & Guilds 2392 – Fundamental Inspection & Testing
    City & Guilds 2393 – Building Regulations City & Guilds 2391-52 – Inspection and Testing*
    If I was/were trying to break into the refrigeration game, I would forget about these 4 C&G units until I had a few years of experience under my belt.

In my opinion, they will add very little to the knowledge required to learn fridge. Your money would be better spent on fridge related learning

Totally agree frank I was thinking the more on my CV the better looking but I do agree with you.. Its not in till you sit down at these places you finger that bit out

Obviously the training centre isn't going to say that

Are you interested in being a refrigeration engineer or an electrician?

The other courses are irrelevant to refrigeration, you only need them if you are going to be a site wiring type electrician so you can certify your work. They are mainly for seasoned electricians upgrading their knowledge to the latest standards, but other entrants use it as a fast track way of becoming electricians without the on the job experience.

If you are interested in refrigeration, why don't you just do the City & Guilds 6187 level 2 to start with then level 3 if you find it a juicy course and a college near to you that offers it. It will take about two years to complete attending 1 day a week, and you will learn the basic electrical theory and of course how to safely isolate a circuit before you work on it.

The level 2 will give you underpinning knowledge of refrigeration and air con, and basic design along with the safe handling of refrigerants. Where as the 2079 or the equivalent will only give you the safe handling certificate with a basic introduction of theory, and it may leave you scratching your head regarding further technical issues you may come across, and if you can show work evidence your certificate will become a full diploma NVQ. Then you can add to it, or to the 2079 depending which you path you choose, with the handling of CO 2, care refrigerants and ammonia to further supplement it.

The 6187 is sometimes more recognisable by firms who are training engineers but it's the handling that is main requirement you need to have. Then you will learn more with working with a seasoned engineer who knows their stuff.

The cost of the course is about £2700.00 per year and can be paid by installments, but depending on the district you live in they may even reduce the cost depending on your age and hours worked per week. Or if you attend as an apprentice and you have O levels or sit the funky maths and English test, it usually comes down to about £600.00 per year I know that Bradford college do this because my mate paid about £1400.00 for his first year and £900.00 for his second year.

You could ask your employer to let you have one day a week off then work Saturdays for flat time if you decide to choose the 2 year course and apprentice route. You could even offer an extra pair of hands to a firm when they need it to gain experience.

My mate packed his job in as a shelf filler in at Morrisons, and went down the mature student route and lived partially off benefits, his savings and working part time cash in hand for a refrigeration firm.

The additional courses for CO 2 and care refrigerants, range around £900.00 for CO 2, £300.00 for the care refrigerant, and £600.00 for the ammonia BESA or 2078. If we haven't already done them, we will all eventually have to do these in the near future because they will be the only gases available for refrigeration use.
    Training may be finished but experience is never complete.

Refrigeration mate

Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    If I was/were trying to break into the refrigeration game, I would forget about these 4 C&G units until I had a few years of experience under my belt.

In my opinion, they will add very little to the knowledge required to learn fridge. Your money would be better spent on fridge related learning
    What he said