Hello everyone,
This is my first post in the forum. I own an ice rink in Greece, so I'm not an engineer. Reason for writing is I would appreciate some help with a problem I am having. I have a water chiller made from a Greek company using Hanbell screw compressors (RC2 260B) with an Alfa Laval evaporator and Air condensers, and Carel controller (Pico 3). A couple of weeks back one of the compressors -we have 2 - blew and the Refrigeration company we bought the chiller from told me it was because our glycol water mixture was too low. We found it was -10 Celsius, we now changed it to -15. We were advised to change the compressor to a Bitzer equivalent because they are better than Hanbell compressors and more efficient in eletricity but will need extra work in installing these as the fittings aren't the same.
Other Ref engineers that I talked to told me that compressors dont break and the first one to break would be the evaporator - not because of glycol mixture- and the problem could be eletrical, oil failure or a combination of other things, same guy also suggested to buy exact same compressor as the chiller is designed with 2 identical compressors, also that the bitzer would be more efficient is a myth, and told me to really save on electricity there's chillers with inverter compressors like Carrier.
Also most engineers advised against using a remanufactured compressor, although I do have a quote -actually I have one from a UK company - though I wouldn't mention it don't know if rules allow it in this forum.
So there's 2 questions really:
What is the reason do you guys think for compressor failure?
Do I use exact same brand new or remanufactured and same time check the whole chiller?
Thank you all for your help
Joseph