Beverage Aire E Series Resurrection

I'm the proud, adoptive owner of an E Series Beverage Aire refrigerator. She looks good but that is about as far as she goes. I don't have any refrigerator repair experience but enough automotive to at least know this isn't a car. What I know about this unit. At some point the compressor was replace with an Embraco 30-FF8.5HBK, R134 compressor with a single charging port. (No high side port???). I don't think it was ever properly evacuated before being charged. I believe it has been charged with HOTShot2 and R134a. At compressor start up it runs for just a few seconds then shuts down. I suspect a blockage somewhere. I'd like to flush the system make sure there is no debris from a possible compressor failure or other unknowns. The two expansion bulbs, do they need to be replaced? What is the correct terminology for each? Is this the same as a receiver\dryer in the auto world? I weld, braze, solder so I'm not worried about getting good clean connections. I'm sure I've left out a lot of the details you need, so let me know what questions I've caused.
    thank you
    --G--

IMG_1232.jpgIMG_1233.jpgIMG_1239.jpgIMG_1241.jpgIMG_1242.jpg

Re: Beverage Aire E Series Resurrection

Before you get into too much work, check out the compressor, first thoughts are you have an issue with either the windings or mechanical components.
    Check the resistance of the windings and compare the value to the data from the manufacturer.
    Check the start relay and overload.
    If all the above check out ok move on to investigate the system.
    Location, United Kingdom

The outlet of the condenser feeds into a small copper spun dryer and the capillary is fed from there. The return suction pipe from evaporator to compressor does have a suction accumulator in it which is there solely to prevent liquid entering the compressor.

You have a spare stub on the dryer, at the moment it is blanked and brazed off. Replace the dryer with a compatible component and add a charging stub to that spare (blanked) pipe, that will allow access to the high side.
    The compressor has a charging stub which you know about. those compressors only stop after running if there is an issue with the comp, there may be a multitude of faults but look to electrical problems with the compressor, if the compressor cuts out after just a short time it is either faulty electrically or mechanically so you need to prove this before you look to anything else.

Once the compressor is proven you need Pure nitrogen gas and if you blow it through the service connections you can then prove if there is a blockage. if you prove the comp is good and no blockage you then need to look to refrigerant charge.

Small steps..........

Prove comp
    Prove no blockage
    change dryer
    vac system and weigh correct amount in
    run on test.

Not much eh..........

Rob

.. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..

R134a is known to block capillaries (oil floc)

Thank you for the responses. I checked the winding and they are good. No internal shorts either. I forgot to check the start relay and overload. (Not enough time in the day)
    To elaborate a little further on what happens, when the compressor starts, within 20 seconds or so it pulls down on the low side to 18 psi and cuts out. I'm guessing 18 is where the cut out is set at but not 100% sure since the compressor runs for such a short time.
    My next step is to check the relay.Assuming it checks good, would I remove the compressor and bench run it? How else would I check it mechanically to figure out if it can run continuously? Are the suction accumulators ever replaced? I'll replace the dryer as a routine course of the rebuild.
    Cheers,
    --G--

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Just checking - was the capillary clear after you brazed in the drier?
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Brian,
    You are way ahead of me. I have not removed the dryer yet. All the problems I’ve described are as I inherited the unit. I assume I check the capillary by blowing nitrogen through it. If not educate me please.
    Cheers
    —G—

It's very unlikely to be fitted with a pressure switch so the fact that the compressor cuts out at 18psi is just coincidental.
    Unless the compressor has tight bearings and is drawing excessive current my first reaction would be to suspect the start relay.
    If the start winding is not being switched out of circuit it will trip the overload.
    Get an electronic Supco relay that matches the compressor's profile, they are rated with quite wide fractional HP bands 1/6 - 1/3 HP etc check online I am sure you will find a supplier.
    They are not expensive so it's worth it to prove the compressor, you don't need to remove it from the cabinet to carry out the test.
    Location, United Kingdom

I got sidetracked on other work but now back on this. Question: do I need to replace the capillary tube? This was originally an R12 system. Are the capillary sizes the same between R12 and Hotshot2?
    Cheers
    -G-

As long as the cap tube is clear (no blockage) then it
    won't make much of a difference to the system if
    it was an R12 now on Hotshot2.

Rob

Ps

I looked it up.

R-417C
    Composition: (R-125 / 134a / 600) • (19.5 / 78.8 / 1.7 wt%)
    Replaces: R-12 and HCFC-based R-12 retrofit blends
    Application:
    Medium and low temperature refrigeration
    Performance:
    ¡ Capacity will be slightly higher than R-12; pressures will run higher
    than R-12 and similar to R-401A/B and R-409A
    Lubricant:
    Polyolester lubricant; a hydrocarbon additive is designed to circulate
    mineral oil or alkylbenzene, but addition of POE may be required if there
    is a problem with circulation.

So Oil might be your biggest issue.

Rob

.. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..

So the system is holding 25 inches of vacuum for two days. I want to make sure I charge it correctly. How do I determine how much oil is in the system and if I need to add any? I have POE oil encase I need to add some. I read that hotshot 2 should be charged as a liquid and initially into the high side on a dry system, compressor off. (I added a high side port.) is this correct? What high side/low side pressures should I shoot for?
    Thank you in advance.
    -G-