Thread: Is it just me?

Is it just me?

Is it just me?
    Or do you think this Oil separator need emptying?

20180304_145518.jpg

Some issues are easier to spot than others!
    Grizzly

Despite the High Cost of Living it still remains Popular!

Blog Entries

Re: Is it just me?

Hi

of course it needs to be drained

I think it is oil separator under the liquid separator and it has heater to heat oil to remove gas mixed with oil
    Last edited by mbc; 16-03-2018 at 06:35 PM.

Depends, one client purposely does not drain because ice build up is a waste of electricity!
    Can you believe that for being tight.
    Do not know at what point he drains.

It depends how much electricity was wasted. Unfortunately, many people don't know how to calculate energy waste or energy savings. Remember one chief engineer of cold storage decided to save energy by switching light off in the freezer during 10 min breaks. It happened for 1 day until someone was left in the dark.
    I calculated daily energy savings and it was enough to buy 1 cup of coffee!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Segei View Post
    It depends how much electricity was wasted. Unfortunately, many people don't know how to calculate energy waste or energy savings. Remember one chief engineer of cold storage decided to save energy by switching light off in the freezer during 10 min breaks. It happened for 1 day until someone was left in the dark.
    I calculated daily energy savings and it was enough to buy 1 cup of coffee!!!
    For some owner operators that cup of coffee is a free bonus if saved.
    Also complained about pulling new freezer down with screw unloaded, was inefficient!

System what we have is float activated as the oil reaches to certain level the oil return back to the compressor sump so never actually faced any problem.
    I maintain, everything I have, myself.

Blog Entries

Hi vikky

In large system as same as we have in picture oil in side oil separator (under the liquid separator) is not to clean to return it to compressor
    also to pump it to compressor we need a lot of equipment and valves and also oil filters( Filter cartridge)
    Last edited by mbc; 17-03-2018 at 05:06 PM.

Grizzly,
    Looking at picture I see drain cap missing & drain line long run from oil pot, which has to be drained so not to lock any liquid.
    Normally stop valve immediately upstream of drain valve in case you want to close quickly, or in case drain valve does no hold.
    We don't put bullseye's in oil pot, as from your picture, not that necessary.
    I also not a fan of drain valve position, as to low to the ground when draining lots of oil for a period.

http://files.danfoss.com/TechnicalIn...L0A722_QDV.pdf

I didn't know until reading that it has inbuilt relief in cone of valve, that could catch you by surprise if opened & not capped.
    Last edited by RANGER1; 17-03-2018 at 10:43 PM.

Hi Guys!
    Thanks for the input!
    Your comments are appreciated and interesting.
    Especially as I only put the photo of this separator to highlight how full some of these can get.
    Before formal permission is given to drain them.

Historically I drained my first system by myself back in 1991, using the same as is now (NRV / Dead Mans Handle)
    In those days we were allowed to do such jobs on our own!
    Not any more, there has to be 2 of us nowadays whenever we carry out an oil drain.

That's because some have not known how to drain, without trying to regulate the oil flow through the Drain valve.
    Some have been known to create a hydraulic lock by not closing / bleeding the lines in the correct order.
    Which is what Ranger is Warning me of!

I also agree that you don't need a bulls eye. (We get what the Consultant Recommends!)
    Anyone can see from the frost line where the oil level is.
    Which is why I posted the " Tongue in cheek photo" which is Oil separator No3 on this particular site.

Incidentally that Valve does have a cap on, its a 1/2" BSP Hydraulic cap. The end of the cap swivels and has an internal flared fitting.
    In fairness its not that clear on that photo.

I don't have a photo to hand but its internal parts fit inside the internal end of a Male 1/2 " bsp pipe fitting.
    They also have a large flat surface internally which will seal against a parallel Thread.
    If needed I will try and post a better explanation tomorrow.

They are all 70ltr Vessels with built in Isolatable electrical heaters.
    I with my colleague have drained approx. 45 and 25 ltrs from the other 2 recently.
    I suspect we may get 45 / 50 ltrs from this one when permission is finally given to proceed.

The plants are nearly 7 years old now and use modern Semi Synthetic Oils.
    Which have very little carry over so oil drains are rarely necessary. Unlike some the old mineral oil systems.

Simple really, if you don't have to add oil then you don't need to drain it!
    Besides the modern Oils have such a superior life span.
    That once they have reached the Oil separator you really don't want to be using them again.

Cheers Guys!
    Grizzly
    Last edited by Grizzly; 18-03-2018 at 01:09 AM.

This earlier photo of One of the separator's may show the Cap on the end of the drain valve better?

20171124_134758.jpg
    Grizzly.

Grizzly,
    Do you think people not knowing the basics you mentioned are more common now than in the past?
    Some places also have a procedure for draining oil nearby on a sign, or with a procedure of some sort.
    Face mask, gloves, detector etc
    For something that we see simple, seems so complicated these days.
    Now people are talking about “double block & bleed” which in itself creates other procedures & risks from people not knowing or thinking ahead.
    Have seen a few instances of closing stop valve downstream of non return valve, one on large R22 plant many years ago, tube hydrauliced, lost the lot.
    People thinking faulty copper tube, wonder what bursting pressure was?
    With oil drain valve from Danfoss, makes you wonder should it be capped or not, as then relief valve in it not functional.

Blog Entries

Hi
    for drain oil it is better we have first stop valve and then quick stop valve
    when we drained oil and we want to close the line
    first we close stop valve and we wait all of oil between stop valve and quick stop valve to be drained
    we should be certain from draining of oil between then
    after we done draining we can put cap on than

Hi Ranger.
    We have some excellent trainers here in the UK.
    Who ensure people are shown how to do things correctly.
    Sadly though, more and more people who don't have a clue seem to want to tell "You how to do the job.!"
    Sad that the opinion of Corporate Health and Safety comes first.
    At the end of the day, as long there are guys that are allowed to pass on their experience to their colleagues.
    We all stand a chance.
    MBC.
    Why did you feel you need to post the obvious?
    We are all big boys here we all know how to do the job!
    Grizzly

Blog Entries

Hi grizzly

I know you have enough experience to do good job and in the UK your student trainee is very good
    but most people here is reading and getting idea how to work and do the right job
    as same as me
    Last edited by mbc; 18-03-2018 at 08:40 PM.