Ice bank controller

Hi

i'm working on an old cream tank that works via a ice bank, the controls are all shot and original, i'm going to fit a electronic ice bank control unit like a ranco E37, does anybody know how you fit the sensor to the pipe as every supplier I've spoke to say the sensor doesn't come with any pipe fixings??

also i assume the sensor can be fitted below the water level (fully under water)

Thanks C.B.

Re: Ice bank controller

Hi Chillyblue
    Like yourself the above is not my speciality, so I checked the controller out online.
    Yep! I can see why you asked the questions you do.
    Hopefully someone can help?
    There does not appear to be a lot of info out there.
    Good Luck Grizzly
    Despite the High Cost of Living it still remains Popular!

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Came across instructions for the sensors which seem to show some form of screwed clamp however, they aren't supposed to be immersed in water unless the cable goes upwards towards the controller. This is to stop moisture migration.

Link here.... http://bit.ly/2En1Pkt
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Hi Chilly,

I've used them - you need to make your own bracket. Despite what the document says, I've had no issue with submerged / controller orientation

Thanks Chaps

I have got one coming, i think as you all say it'll be a case of supporting it the best i can.
    Does anyone know is there a ideal thickness for the ice (sweet spot) i assume to thin and it'll not cope with the loading, to thick? other than freezing up is there any other issues.

Cheers
    CB

You are correct, too thin will not provide sufficient thermal mass

Too thick is a matter of reduced efficiency - as the ice becomes thicker the growth slows down, partly due to the increased volume, but also because ice is an insulator (the "cold" energy of the refrigerant is not transferred readily through thick ice)

Further, it is important that the ice serpentine does not build to such that the runs join together and form great big block - a block of ice may have more volume but it does have less surface area than distinct "tubes"

The systems I have worked on, between one and two "Diameters" of the copper tube is the ice thickness they use

Probably a bit of trial & error, hopefully you get lucky first time!
    Last edited by HVACRsaurus; 31-01-2018 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HVACRsaurus View Post
    You are correct, too thin will not provide sufficient thermal mass

Too thick is a matter of reduced efficiency - as the ice becomes thicker the growth slows down, partly due to the increased volume, but also because ice is an insulator (the "cold" energy of the refrigerant is not transferred readily through thick ice)

Further, it is important that the ice serpentine does not build to such that the runs join together and form great big block - a block of ice may have more volume but it does have less surface area than distinct "tubes"

The systems I have worked on, between one and two "Diameters" of the copper tube is the ice thickness they use

Probably a bit of trial & error, hopefully you get lucky first time!

Thanks i'll give it a go and let you know the results.

CB