Food safety issues

We have all seen issues from time to time on our travels,but I have seen an issue yesterday that turned my stomach got called to a cold store about 6 metres X4 metres x 3 metres new customer and it was an abortion the temperature was +2c all sorts of issues with the equipment,inside this store which should be at minus 18c minimum was all types of food meant for human consumption inside the store it looked like a suicide bomber had just killed himself,I told the client get as many skips as you can this food is a danger believe me it was very bad,no no its OK just make it cool was the answer I got my callous fee and walked away,got home and reported it to the powers at be it was that bad question is did I do the wrong thing in my opinion no! and I hope it's shut down asap,I would like to know if anybody has done the same?

Re: Food safety issues

Went to butchers years ago the deep freeze cold room had stuck on defrost , the room got so hot the turkeys on the top turned brown and the internal panel sealant melted ,when I had fixed the fault the butcher threw away the brown turkeys and refroze the rest, it was just before Christmas so the room had been full. Also seen other butchers defrosting turkeys in a sink to sell as fresh

I am wondering why is it the EHO only seem to give clean places a hard time.
    Are they afraid of confrontation with owners whose' fist language is not English, this is not a racist comment just an observation of some of the disgusting places I have visited over the years.
    I recall a staff member in a restaurant sitting on the prep sink draining board washing his feet in the sink next to food.
    Maybe it makes the curry taste better.
    Location, United Kingdom

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

You did the right thing.

The CYA policy would have done back to bite you if anyone had suffered because of this.

It's sad that we start a job by saying to yourself "Do I need this sh1t?"
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Sadly my complaint was acknowledged on the 19th of this month and it takes five working days to be investigated by which time how many people have eaten contaminated food,surely working days should include weekends in the food industry?

I think there are fewer EHO's and those that are employed some are part-time.
    It does not bode well for the health of the dining out fraternity.
    I don't remember ever seeing a premises shut down because of poor hygiene, even the worse offenders appear to get a warning and time to rectify the issues.
    This might be OK for minor infringements but in the case described by cadwaladr, there can be no excuse for not acting immediately.
    When a major outbreak of food poisoning occurs it is all over the press but this is too late if the EHO acted promptly to the information received from reliable sources, without an axe to grind some of these dangerous infringements of the food hygiene regulations could be prevented from escalating into major incidents.
    Location, United Kingdom

I agree with your comments,in my area premises have been closed immediately on rare occasions I am still waiting for a reply maybe they act and then get back to me with the findings .