testing a Recycled Compressor

Hi
    I have just got a split A/C unit that as came out of a pub cellar , my question is before I start to fit it into a cool room I have built at my farm , is can I test the compressor runs ok ( electricaly ) before fitting and gassing the split unit !, meaning will it be ok to run the Compressor for a short time empty of refrigerant .

cheers

spike

Re: testing a Recycled Compressor

spik,
    I would think a several second bump test ok.
    Others may disagree, electrical test can be carried out first though.

Is this split actually suitable for a cool room though?

Hi
    Thanks for your reply , yes that is a good question , " is it suitiable for a cool room " the room is around 16M3 , I am wanting to use it to store some chickens for a couple of weeks pre christmas , I got it cheap so I will only know exactly what I can get down to in C, when I fire it up , would like around 5C !! . I have it well insulated and it is av around 8c at the mo out side .

When I used to "mess around " with window air cons when I worked in the Middle East a long , long time ago , I can remember using a couple of old compressors ( 2.1/2 ton ) for a hobby as a little compressor for doing Air brush painting and they would run for quite awile with seamily no probs ! .

cheers
    Spike

spik, if it usual A/C cplit system, you can store alive chickens only.

Blog Entries

Somebody with meger (insulation tester) will tell you exactly what is that compressor motor electrical condition without running it!
    If it is with POE oil (R407c or R404A refrigerant) do not run it with ambient air (dry nitrogen only allowed), and it should be capped on all connection pipes from moment of disassembly. Consider installing sight glass and generally sized filter drier with activated aluminum for removing all possible moisture and acid from oil. Replace with normal drier after few months.

Just measure length and outside diameter of original capillary of heating cycle for that AC and put new one same length, or better, use TXV. Evaporator should be of matching capacity according to volumetric capacity of compressor at -5°C evaporation temperature, and you can use whole old outdoor unit as condenser assembly (if fan is OK), just remove 4way valve. If you use TXV, than fit liquid receiver!
    Last edited by nike123; 03-12-2017 at 10:12 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AlexG View Post
    spik, if it usual A/C cplit system, you can store alive chickens only.
    Why would you say that? Isn't that evaporation temperature in heating mode of AC unit, at outdoor ambient of -5°C, is lower than 5°C dead chicken store room?