Hybrid View

Md-200 overheating

Thermoking md-200 shuts off to code 18, its full of coolant water/antifreeze mix. Runs for 10 minutes and shuts off it squirts some coolant out of the reservoir overflow tube that dumps between the truck cab and the box. The engine is smoking hot and the coolant looks full at the radiator cap but I can stick a finger in and it's just above body temp while the controller says the engine temp is 220degrees.

The coolant temp sensor is new, I removed the thermostat, the suction pressure is set to 17psi and the unit runs fine on electric. I'm wondering if the water pump is the problem or if something else?

Re: Md-200 overheating

Electric motor belt slack,clutch worn condensor dirty,after that a compression test

Definitely sounds like a flow problem, if the engine is hot and the rad is cold. What does the coolant look like? Could you have passages plugged in the block? Not much to go wrong with a water pump as long as it's turning. I've seem impellers come of carrier trailer unit pumps but never a TK, Wouldn't hurt to pull the pump and have a look.

It started trumpeting air out of the radiator relief tube, coworker advised me to check the head gasket

Don't take this the wrong way but are you new to transport stuff?,I feel that your searching for clues before thinking on your feet the transport job here is totally different than where you are and maybe instant diagnosis in your neck of the woods is the norm and diagnosis of problems is rapid,having visited a dealership in Australia which has excessive climate issues taught me a valuable lesson regarding immediate diagnosis is much different than my country.

no offense taken, my father started a small business and as his health degrades he just cant do the work anymore at 65. ive been doing all the work for the past 18 months due to his health issues. hes a great resource but he sometimes becomes combative about work issues. i called him on this issue and he immediatly said the suction pressure was too high, i told him its within normal range(18psi), and he insists that its too high. if the suction pressure is below ~15 the unit just wont get down to temp but he is just too difficult to deal with sometimes so i start doing research.

im in los angeles so theres no shortage of work, most of the companies out here are used to TK/carrier service which starts with weeks of waiting in their backlog. this summer was a hot one and this particular truck has been a thorn in my side for about 3 months now. its received a new MP, CPR valve, electric motor, fuel pump and alternator scattered over the last two months. it runs for a week or two and the gremlin moves to another part. its become a real problem child and i just wanna be done with it ha.

i understand that alot of problems cant be deciphered without a tech going thru a unit and as im still learning i just try to keep my ears open, but sometimes i just dont know where to look for a problem. last month i had a unit giving an oil alarm, the oil was fine but the alternator brushes were bad and caused unit to think it had low oil and shut off. the more time i spend on this job the less im suprised by weird things, and it never hurts to ask, thanks again for your help.

When I change the electric motor belt on those units I retention them after a few days of running,if your ambient is warm cleaning the condensor is a must do job I have not had too many issues with head gaskets ,fuel solenoid and alternator brushes are common faults and that switch on the unit which when it goes faulty affects the charging rate,best of luck pity I am not so well myself sounds like good engineers are needed in your locality!