ammonia leak tragedy

Ammonia leak at Fernie, B.C. arena leaves three dead, area ...

www.ohscanada.com/ammonia-leak-fernie-b-c-arena-leaves-three-dead-area-evacuated/

Oct 18, 2017 - FERNIE, B.C. (The Canadian Press) — Three people are dead after a possibleammonia leak at an arena in Fernie, B.C. on Tuesday night that ...

Re: ammonia leak tragedy

This is very sad. Probably, something went really wrong.

A lesson to all,witnessed a big leak years ago but gladly no fatalities other issues which were taken care of,this refrigerant is great but dangerous hopefully in the uk in my experience it's got many safeguards lesson to us all do not cut safeguards exceed them.

Hi,

Everything is dangerous ... to get a driving licence we have to go to driving school to obtain licence to kill ...

Industrial plants of any kind could be very dangerous and there we need skilled operators ... detectors and other emergency equipment available ... proper education is something very important for facilities with any refrigerant ... even with water ...

I believe this is result of human mistake or worst like trying to save some money on maintenance (what is usual for some managers). I had a similar case in my practice (dead lady) ... broken EM valve with sudden release of liquid ammonia within cold store room and she was trapped ... but also, unfortunately, not educated about ammonia ... sad story ..

I feel real bad for the victims and their families.

I hope here on RE forums we can educate i.e. give some good advice about safety (before and after accidents) when working with refrigerants ...

Best regards to all and take care

Josip

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.

Blog Entries

I have been watching this case, there were mentioned that they died as a result of an explosion, but seeing the explosion limits of ammonia, it is likely that the matter was a fact from exposure before the levels reached explosion/fire limits.

It's always sad when something like this happens to a colleague, and my thoughts go out to his family and those that are left behind.

and then you have clueless people like this guy
    https://www.e-know.ca/regions/east-k...ammonia-phase/

Ammonia is, I would say, one of the safest refrigerants out there, because it is classified as a dangerous gas, the safety measures around it are higher than for any other refrigerant.
    -Cheers-

Tycho

I don't know what happened but they were 2 people who have some knowledge of refrigeration + refrigeration mechanic. They knew what they were doing. 2 years ago here in Ontario one person was killed by ammonia but he was contactor oil testing company who tried to take oil sample from thermosyphon oil cooler. It that case I have only question to chief engineer of the plant who allowed outside person to take oil sample. This is wrong. In the latest incident most likely it was "explosion" of reciprocating compressor when it tried to compress liquid. In case of suspected flooding any reciprocating compressor should be rotated manually before it started up.