I'm sure some of you are familiar with an old/early method of crankcase heating which energizes the compressor run capacitor during the off cycle. Since the capacitor is in series with the start/aux winding, there is current flow and the winding generates some heat. If not familiar, here's a link explaining it:

Off Cycle Motor Heat

For those who are familiar: does anyone know a typical current/amperage value for the circuit?

I've seen a lot of units with this crankcase heating method over the years but never measured the current till yesterday and found it to be 3.0± amps. For some intuitively based reason, I always expected it to be much lower, as some comments I've seen referred to it as "trickle" current...and 3 amps seems more than a "trickle" to me.

My reason for being on the call in the first place was to investigate a "hum", which turned out to be the off cycle heating arrangement.

The 30µf capacitor "tested" OK, but I tried a new one to be safe, and the amp draw was the same 3 amps. The "running" amps on the aux are 6-7.

It's an old GE unit, some 30 years (believe it or not) and I'm wondering if the motor winding has lost some "integrity" resulting in a higher than normal amperage.

Thanks in advance...