Thread: Oil Quantity

Oil Quantity

Oil flooded twin screw compressor system. Components: compressor, oil separator, oil cooler, condenser, receiver, economizer, dx evaporator. Question: If system was pumped down (closed liquid line and pumped as much refrigerant into receiver as possible while system running); Any idea what percent of that refrigerant would be oil? I know it would depend on how efficient the oil separator is and maybe some other factors AND also that this is a way-out-there question but hey! I gotta ask! Refrigerant R-22 app. 4,000 lbs. Thanks.

Blog Entries

Re: Oil Quantity

Hi
    One of the major problem in flooded system in frions system separating oil
    Efficient of oil separator and how long system is working also oil type is important
    In pump down in flooded system you suction the gas and oil will stay in evaporator and you can drain it
    Donot forget you should have big reciver( enough valum for pump down)

Hi PLEH
    The oil can only absorb a set amount of refrigerant at a given temperature, bigger volume of oil more refrigerant, colder oil temperature more refrigerant. Given you have 4,000 lbs in your system why are you concerned about the % of refrigerant in the oil? This % would be tiny probably less than 0.2% assuming you have less than 50 gals of oil in the separator as it appears you only have 1 compressor.
    Regards
    Paul
    Born to fish, forced to work

When you install a new system, you have to keep adding oil, until oil returns.
    So no matter what, there is a percentage of oil, depending on how well oil return system works.
    I agree with Paul, guessing possibly 9 gallons of oil (36 litres or 0.2%) circulating with that amount of refrigerant.
    How much is pumped back to liquid receiver would expect less than that.

What is reason for your question?

http://www.rses.org/assets/serviceap...l/620-1071.pdf

Blog Entries

Hi Ranger
    it is flooded system and oil will stay above frions
    if system were DX you right but in flooded system I am afraid you have not notes