Problem about R23 Compressor

Hi, every advanced guys!
    I want to built a two-stage compression refrigerator system, and use R23 in lower pressure stage(evaporating temperature is about -70℃). But I cannt buy a compressor for R23 in local market. Can I use other type compressor to replace? Like R404A?
    Any input is good.

faithfully
    ernest

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: Problem about R23 Compressor

Picked this from another engineering forum... it may help you ??

The ability of the compressor to handle the refrigerant is related to the pressure. If you could design a system in such way that the discharge pressure is within range, you should be able to use r13/r23 on a compressor you normally use R22 (you need a large tank in the system to reduce the gas pressure when the system is off and at ambient temperature).
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

If I remember right Copeland may have some rating tables for some of their compressors for cascade system operation.

Unfortunately, I don't believe these are normally cataloged compressors. I seem to remember this falls into an area where you use your own judgement and no warranty is available.

Hopefully, someone who does this sort of work all the time may have better information on these small systems.

On the larger systems I'm used to Brian has it right. You need to apply the compressor properly to ensure it's operation is within the guidelines of the manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_UK
    (you need a large tank in the system to reduce the gas pressure when the system is off and at ambient temperature).
    This large tank is often called an expansion tank or a fade-out drum. It is absolutely essential to retain the refrigerant during a shutdown condition.

As USIceman said, we used for cascades we made in the past with R23 and some others with ethylene the normal range of Copeland compressors.
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

HI,
    I CAN SELECT R-23 COMPRESSOR FOR YOU .SUBMIT OPERATING DATA. COMP CAPACITY , EVAPORATING TEMP,CONDENSING TEMP. GET IN TOUCH WITH ME ON contact@bockindia.com . WE can offer you the R-23 compatible compressor in semi-hermetic version.

D.D.KORANNE