Lack of new posts

I am wondering if the Facebook Refrigeration engineers group is reducing the number of posts on this site.
    I notice large numbers of posts daily on the Facebook group site and diminishing number on this site which is very sad.
    Do you consider that those on the Facebook group are not aware of this site?
    Do they not want to be associated with this site for some reason?
    Is the Facebook site more up to date?
    Is it more social media trendy?

I don't have the answers just interested in trying to understand the decline in contributions to this site.
    Perhaps the Mods can give us some indication of contributors/members numbers etc.

I look forward to any contributions from those that are on both sites and also those only on this one.

Location, United Kingdom

Re: Lack of new posts

I had a look at that group. They only accept folks from the UK.
    One of the things I like about RE is the posts from all over the World.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Interesting subject having noticed the decrease in the number of posts over the past couple of years.

Being retired now I am no longer up to speed with the trade but noticed that with the advent of smartphones around the world that the near/far eastern and pacific rim AC personell were starting up numerous Facebook groups to use. I haven't viewed any of the UK based ones so can't comment on them.

The others I think provide the instant answer gratification that the younger generation require without having to show much subject knowledge. These guys are on a roof somewhere with no refrigeration knowledge but a need to make a living. They have a broken AC unit so post a simple "it's not working" question without giving a hint of what they've found wrong. Someone soon gives a suggestion and away they go. If that doesn't solve the problem they will start another question.

They don't do continuity so the idea of using a forum structure is not for them.

It seems to work for them so it can't be too bad in the unregulated markets.

It could also be that our guys are getting better at the job and don't need some much external help.

Anyway, time for sleep.....
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

I too have noticed the slow decline and because I don't do Facebook I can't comment on the other groups.
    I do find this forum to be an excellent resource for people interested in our trade but it does seem that the
    only questions recently are one post requests why their system isn't working and were they ripped off.

I like others have stopped posting as regular as I used to because posting to an ever decreasing number of people does seem pointless sometimes so I suppose I'm as guilty as everyone.

I'm old enough to remember when people actually talked to each other and had conversations, I remember the original forums when the internet was invented and how they have evolved into what they are now but I also know that the technology is leaving me behind because of my reluctance to use the newer Twitter, Facebook and whatever the latest form of social media is these days.

It might be a generation thing and an age thing, without wanting to insult anyone on here the majority of people who I know who post regular to semi regularly are of a certain age and I'm not sure I recognise any Yoooofs.

Not an answer to your question I know just an observation

Rob

.. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..

Sometime ago when I was a Facebook user I joined the Facebook refrigeration section for a short while but noticed that numerous posts by various people were immediately slated be it when they proudly shared a picture of their hard work, mainly installs, that I got the feeling that it just wasn't worth the effort to post anything just to get criticised.
    Obviously, the ones doing the criticisms were far superior to the rest of us mere mortals, so when the change in the data protection laws came about, I closed my Facebook account.
    Haven't missed it since.....
    By the way, acceptance onto the Facebook refrigeration site is by invitation only.....

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

As if to prove BD Scott's point - four replies from four old faithfuls.
    Retired March 2015

Blog Entries

Work keeps me busy, but I stop by whenever I have the time.

A few years back I remember that in 2 days there could be 2 pages of "new posts since last visit"
    now it's 3-4 new posts in a week.

There was an issue with the forums where I was unable to log in for almost 6 months, and it had to do with the "log in with facebook" button/function.

I logged the log in sequence where it timed out trying to connect to facebook (even when using normal log in) and sent it to WebRam and he removed the facbook connection so the normal login would work.

it was at the same time I noticed a steady decline in new posts, so I don't know if people grew tired of not getting access, or if facebook is "easier"

I agree with frank though, on facebook where you can comment inside a comment makes it very hard to moderate, and anything can turn into a poopfest at any time.

That's why I prefer it here and hang out with the Adults
    -Cheers-

Tycho

I am on this forum as well as 2 refrigeration pages on facebook.

This site is more professional and if i get stuck on things that i desperately need help with i do post on here.
    The facebook page is more people asking for advice and then other "engineers" either ripping the poster a new one because "they should know how and why" or they give wrong advice.

I asked one question on the facebook page as i didnt have a clue about a controller and after googling it for ages i gave in and asked a question, with a photo of the controller and also stating that i had done the usual of phoning people and googling it, the only response i had was "google the manual"

I asked the same question on here and i found out what i needed to know.

I get that facebook is a more fast paced response and if you needed a quick answer or solution you might find one quicker on the facebook page instead of on here, i dont get time or chance to get on either but i always check on here for the new posts even if i just sit and read through some of the posts others have asked it always helps to learn more and more about the system.

Facebook everyone thinks they are better than everyone else and they will find any little thing to put you down whether it be an install youd done and posted photos of or someone has asked a question about a problem they have never seen before (i still have days where i cant get my head around some issues) but then you get the "top class" engineers that instead of saying why its wrong or how its wrong or giving a simple answer like "i have seen that issue once or twice try this..." ect they just rip the poster apart for either not being an engineer as everyone knows that answer.

Quote Originally Posted by TrickyRikki View Post
    I am on this forum as well as 2 refrigeration pages on facebook.

This site is more professional and if i get stuck on things that i desperately need help with i do post on here.
    The facebook page is more people asking for advice and then other "engineers" either ripping the poster a new one because "they should know how and why" or they give wrong advice.

I asked one question on the facebook page as i didnt have a clue about a controller and after googling it for ages i gave in and asked a question, with a photo of the controller and also stating that i had done the usual of phoning people and googling it, the only response i had was "google the manual"

I asked the same question on here and i found out what i needed to know.

I get that facebook is a more fast paced response and if you needed a quick answer or solution you might find one quicker on the facebook page instead of on here, i dont get time or chance to get on either but i always check on here for the new posts even if i just sit and read through some of the posts others have asked it always helps to learn more and more about the system.

Facebook everyone thinks they are better than everyone else and they will find any little thing to put you down whether it be an install youd done and posted photos of or someone has asked a question about a problem they have never seen before (i still have days where i cant get my head around some issues) but then you get the "top class" engineers that instead of saying why its wrong or how its wrong or giving a simple answer like "i have seen that issue once or twice try this..." ect they just rip the poster apart for either not being an engineer as everyone knows that answer.
    As a fellow "Fridgie" who also does not know it all.
    I could not of put it better myself!
    Thanks Tricky.
    Despite the High Cost of Living it still remains Popular!

Very interesting contributions, I am also wondering if the facebook option is perhaps available with one click rather than having to sit down and have a considered approach to a post.
    Also perhaps the users are regular Facebook users and therefore both comfortable and confident in the usage and operation of the site.

I am also aware that some of the Facebook posts would be taken down because of bad language if they were posted on RE.

I can understand this may be an age-related issue as mentioned by some of the respondents to my original post, however, unless the site has lost a lot of contributors because of retirement etc I still am interested to try to understand the decline in interaction with like-minded professionals on this forum.

Most of us encounter issues out of our daily experience and benefit from sharing these matters with other like-minded contributors so it still begs the question where have all the regular posters gone.
    Location, United Kingdom

I suppose also that with the increase in the number of technical information/help provided online/smartphone apps by the manufacturers the type of question asked has become more biased towards serious problem solving.

The sheer quantity of posts asking for error code meanings for example has really fallen off the cliff.

I may be wrong but I feel that the posters from the United States has changed perhaps with the increase in the use of packaged split AC systems.

Also are the technicians (I won't say engineers) better trained now that the refrigerant legislation is becoming more widespread.
    Retired March 2015

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B G Scott View Post
    Very interesting contributions, I am also wondering if the facebook option is perhaps available with one click rather than having to sit down and have a considered approach to a post.
    Also perhaps the users are regular Facebook users and therefore both comfortable and confident in the usage and operation of the site.

I am also aware that some of the Facebook posts would be taken down because of bad language if they were posted on RE.

I can understand this may be an age-related issue as mentioned by some of the respondents to my original post, however, unless the site has lost a lot of contributors because of retirement etc I still am interested to try to understand the decline in interaction with like-minded professionals on this forum.

Most of us encounter issues out of our daily experience and benefit from sharing these matters with other like-minded contributors so it still begs the question where have all the regular posters gone.
    I'm moderator in a Norwegian facebook group, and we had to close it so we could vet new members.
    In the beginning it was open to anyone and it would be a pain to moderate because of ease of access/high volume.

after we closed it and started weeding out members that were obviously not fridgies the need for moderation is almost zero.

But facebook is more about short posts and quickly sharing pictures or videos, the text formatting and the fact that most people use it on their phones makes it so that most posts are just a few lines.

And like you said, 80% of facebook posts would have been deleted if it was on RE

Imagine posting a picture of a valve asking "anyone know how to fix this" and then getting 200 replies saying "buy a new one" or "Buy a xxxxxx instead"
    so it's not exactly high quality content
    -Cheers-

Tycho

We do not have to compete with social networks, its totally different here and even if posts will decrease for a while, it will com back to life like the Phoenix.

Forums still serve a purpose away from social media sites. Case and point is the popularity of HVAC-Talk, which is still very much active. Of course it has a larger audience, but shows that there are people that seek and use forums. There are wide range of forums that are active that could be on FB, but happily exist anyway

I manage 2 forums myself for unrelated subjects; not once did I consider a FB group which is more a personal space that provides scope for groups; it no doubt eats into the space that forums have traditionally occupied, but the 2 are different, and many will appreciate that when they come to a site dedicated to Refrigeration as apposed to navigate through FB to chat about the subject

I hate to say it, but this place is dated. And I mean really dated. A first impression is all important when others first come across this site, and it just looks like a site from the 90s. Besides this, the CSS is messy and is not playing well with modern browsers. The mobile versions is unusable which is a big negative in this day and age.

It's functional, but this place needs to be re-freshened

As I said, beside refrigeration I run 2 forums and have working knowledge of CSS, Forum Software (although I'm more families with MyBB, not vBulletin but it's all the same) and everything in between. I would happily assist in a bit of refresher. In fact, if you was willing to transfer to MyBB (that would very easy), I could have a working example for you within a month
    Last edited by Rtic; 15-09-2019 at 09:09 PM.

Hi BG
    I have noticed a lot less posts as well, and therefore I probably only visit this site every week or two whereas before it would be every few days.
    I have to agree with most of what's been said. I am a member to 3 Facebook groups that are Refrigeration based and I have experienced the same thing as Frank. I posted some pics of a new installation we did and received several comments about how many mistakes there were and some were a bit nasty. I no longer post anything on any of these sites.
    I think RE is a much better place to post things and ask for help, you get intelligent answers here.
    Facebook is full of so called experts who can only criticize others, very seldom is there anything constructive.
    I have been on the forum for many years and have always found it very helpful.
    Regars
    Paul
    Born to fish, forced to work

Hi to all!

Yes, unfortunately, I also noticed less posts ...

I can start with myself and say I'm guilty too for reduced number of posts ... but even before I did not discuss almost anything what I do not know quite good to be helpful for poster ... meaning to give a right answer, or just some advice or maybe post some link or sent some requested documents via email .. whatever ...

My field of work was mostly industrial refrigeration ... and that is my forum ... in other forums I do not feel like at home and there I'm just reading posts to learn something ...

Today industrial refrigeration is driving on some other track (from my point of view) ... seems everything is known ... no discussion no question ... reason can be that a lot of knowledge (brochures, leaflets, manuals, books etc.) is just a few clicks away ... or manufacturers are giving a good support to clients ... in my time that was not so easy ... paper was everything ...

Obtaining some good book was like to find a treasure ... then forums like this or any other were another way to discuss our daily problems ... sometimes we need to wait a while until get right answer or some good advice, but we need to be patient .... today right answer must arrive even before someone press "submit" button ...

strange !?! ... not exactly, due to modern technology all became "instant" and for me that is the main reason of fast growing social networks where you can get an instant answer, but more often abuse ...

I'm not a member of any social group, becuse I do not believe that I can get help there ... this is much better place and the same is on some other forums where I am a member ...

I am sure there is not stupid question, but about answers I am not so sure ...

Best regards,
    Josip

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.

Hi Josip
    I agree with you about the social groups. I am a member to a couple of Facebook groups in Australia and the posts generally consist of criticism of other peoples work. I posted some photos of an install we did and copped some criticism because it wasn't the way others would do it so no further posts.
    There is no criticism on this forum and I have been given assistance by many over the years which I am grateful for.
    Everyone has a smart phone these days and answers are usually easily found. I like you learnt when paper was everything but things have changed and I now use a smart phone to access information.
    Regards
    Paul
    Born to fish, forced to work

Evening all,
    I am not as active on here since retiring from the trade, but still drop in occassionally to find out what is happeneing. I am not on any of the refrigeration Facebook pages, mainly as it does not interest me and from other Facebook pages that I have seen, the quality of the answers given, sometimes leave a lot to be desired.
    I am sure that as has been mentioned before, the down-turn in the number of posts could be an age related/not instant enough fix scenario, where the original poster is not prepared to wait for a well thought out answer/suggestion, but would seem to prefer the 'speedy answer'.
    Hopefully RE will continue to provide the answers/suggestions that many of us fully appreciate, in whatever form it morphs into.
    Mobile A/C at its best, see avatar.
    Bedford. Now retired and trying to relax.