Thread: Re re-charging

terence123cars Guest

Re re-charging

Hi Folks:
    I'm new to this forum and know practically nothing about refrigeration. I am a retired electrical contractor/engineer and have been in the automation control business most of my life. I am now retired and living in Baja, Mexico now and I have a G.E. side by side fridge that suddenly isn't cooling. It uses R-134. The compressor and condensor/ fan are in the top section and are not very accessable. There are no service connections on the compressor inlet and outlet, but there is the copper stub with a Schrader type valve for re-charging. There is ice build-up on the outlet pipe from the compressor and the condensor fan is working. I presume there is a fan to move the cold air to the freezer section? There does not seem to be any air flow into the freezer. (Even holding the door switches closed). If the system needs additional *****, how much is required and can you overfill?

Thanks for any help, it will be very much appreciated.

Terry
    Last edited by terence123cars; 26-05-2006 at 05:02 PM.

Re: Re re-charging

Hello and Bienvenido a RE & Mexico!!
    From the information you gave us, seem 2 me that the first thing you would have 2 check before attempting 2 charge it is make sure the evaporator fan(indoor) is running, as you know refrigerators usually have 2 fans, one for the condenser 2 dissipate the heat and another one in the evaporator area 4 air movement and improve heat transfer. If there is no air movement the evaporator coils start to frost because there is no air circulation(and heat transfer) and that might be the reason you are not getting the refrigeration effect, and frosting your suction line returning to the compresor. Check that first and get back at us...and enjoy the Baja sun!!!

Respectfully,
    mke005

4 does not = for

4 is a quantity, for is a way to describe owner ship/logical progression. I hope this helps, it is really confusing to people when you use a number to represent a joiner.

I'll second his recommendation. Check the fan first and see if the evap is getting cold and frosted over. If not you have a leak and need to find that first, be for figuring to refill other wise you'll be there a long time lol

Bonzaco Guest

Hi Terence - If you can get me the model number I will have a look and see if I can help you out as we are agents for GE in the UK. In the first instance if you have ice build up on the inlet side you dont have a shortage of gas. I suggest you fully defrost the appliance first and see if this sorts out the problem. Quite often these machines freeze up the airflow ducts causing reduced cooling. Let me have the details and hopefully someone can help. Ten4 or 10-4 or 10four!!

hi sir
    from your sentence(there is frost on suction line) , this means that the evaporator fan is not working .
    you can check the control electric cercuit of it .
    check the electric diagram of your fridg. and apply on the wires of fridg.
    may be the timer contacts , or door switch contacts
    if the ceruit is good , check the fan , may be coil is burning or the bushes is worn-out
    best of luch
    afeef

terence123cars Guest

Thanks for the responses. I did let the fridge thaw out completely and started it up gain. I have cheked the evap. fan and it is small, but working. There is cold air movement from the evaporator and the temp. dropped to 10 degrees F in the freezer. There were lots of Ice Cubes in the automaker. Every thing seemed to be OK. I was away about 5 days. and came back to a frozen block in the evaporator. I checked it out and found the evap. fan not working. I checked and found that there is an unkown device mounted on the top of the evaporator fins. It is in the evap. fan circuit. The device appears to be a temperature sensor and it was open circuit. So in order to get the bloody fan working, I by-passed it
    and got the fan running. I had to leave the location but as I was putting the fridge back together, I noticed the compressor was kicking of on overload. The condensor is nice and cold though. Help!

Is the defrost timer working?

I had to leave the location but as I was putting the fridge back together, I noticed the compressor was kicking of on overload. The condensor is nice and cold though. Help!
    I think you switched off the fridge and then switched it back on again within 5 minutes, didn't you?

Always leave a fridge off for 5 minutes before you switch it back on again.

Chillin
    IF AT FIRST YOU DON`T SUCCEED.
    DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU TRIED!
    and go get a cuppa

hello
    do not pass any control device , cause each control instrument has its function, to protect the system from serious damage.
    the sensor you by-pass is the over heat thermostat, its function is to cut-off the evaporator heater when the defrost timer is stuck on heating period,
    it cut-off when the evaporator exeed 24 c
    this have nothing to do with compressor clicking on over load , as chillin said take 3-5 min period befor restarting
    regards
    afeef