jowens1997 Guest

Smile 1995 Chevrolet PU Truck AC Problem

Hi.
    For no apparent reason, my AC compressor clutch suddenly does not engage. All fuses check ok. I have NOT checked out the relay. With controls set and engine running, no power is coming to the clutch. I have jumped across the low pressure switch and still nothing. To assure that it is a control or relay problem, I would like to temporarily run a hot wire straight from the battery to 1 of the 2 wires that activate the compressor clutch but I'm not sure which 1.
    Any help is appreciated. Also, how do I check out the relay ?
    I'm new to the Forum. I'm also limited on AC repair but I do have a professional set of gages and re-charge my systems.
    Thanks Bob
    jowens1997@aol.com

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: 1995 Chevrolet PU Truck AC Problem

I don't know your vehicle but the electrical circuit is often the same regardless of make (I hope!).

The power to the clutch is usually fed through a separate fuse from the a/c controls, it would normally go through a power relay after the fuse and then to the clutch.

You should be able to find a connector of some sort in the power feed to the clutch but if not then I suppose you will have to break into the wires.

Being 12vdc means one wire will be (+) positive and the other will be (-) negative. If you break the wires a meter might show you which wire in 'down to earth' or back to the battery (-) assuming a negative earth vehicle.

If you cut both wires then it doesn't matter which is which if you are going to jump it straight from the battery using two wires (+) & (-).

Hope this is of some help..
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Smile Re: 1995 Chevrolet PU Truck AC Problem

Hi Brian,
    My truck acted up last year too. I thought it was low on *****, so I removed the R - 12, and put in R414 - B. However, at the point, I could not get the compressor clutch to pull in, no matter what.....unless I jumped 12 directly from the battery. Bypassing the low pressure switch did nothing. I would get AC flashing on the display....thats it. I then read, on another forum, that if a fault occurs in the system, the only way to clear it, is to remove power for a bit. I disconnected the battery for a minute, reconnected, and the AC has worked perfect ever since.
    I think if you remove the plug that pushes on the compressor, and put 12V +, on one of the terminals, it should pull in the compressor.

Re: 1995 Chevrolet PU Truck AC Problem

For more indepth help, you could try
    The Arizona Air forum
    The guys on there are very good on US automotive aircon
    Karl

jowens1997 Guest

Smile Re: 1995 Chevrolet PU Truck AC Problem

Thanks for all the help.
    Bob