Industrial open screw compressor running with R-600 - butane

Hi,

I would like to hear about positive or negative issues running plant like in subject ...

Any input is welcome ... we do have some issues, but I will describe them later...

Thanks for your time and effort.

Best regards, Josip

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.

Re: Industrial open screw compressor running with R-600 - butane

Josip,
    Don't really know on industrial scale but thought this link was informative.

https://hychill.com.au/content/3-info/cpohcr.pdf

Re: Industrial open screw compressor running with R-600 - butane

Butane as a refrigerant works like any other hydrocarbon refrigerant , for eg propane , propylene etc.

Just check the compatibility of lube oil while selecting refrigerant . Normally you can use CPI oil with 68 CP for propylene and CPI oil with 150 CP viscosity for propane.

Butane is flammable and therefore check the motor . it shall be at least Ex NA.

All the instruments shall be at least Exd or Exi but it depends.

Butane as a refrigerant is less costly as compared to other refrigerants like R 404 A etc .

Disadvantage is basically due to flammable nature of refrigerant .You are bound to use flameproof instruments , stringent motor requirement etc.