pcdata76 Guest

A question about energy efficiency rating in Europe

In Europe,refrigerator energy efficiency rating is labelled on the refrigerator from A++ to G.They can determine the class with several formulas and coefficients depending on refrigerator/fridge type.They can calculate the standard annual energy consumption with aid of this formulas/coefficients,and they measure the actual annual energy consumption,rate it to standard annual consumption and they determine the energy class.(for example if this ratio is less than 55%,refrigerator gains a chance to be class A.)

I made a research on internet and i can find some documentation on calculation of standard annual consumption,but i cannot find any document about "how they determine/measure actual annual cosumption?"

in some documents,it is said that a refrigerator operates on a special room for 24 h with some heat load and its consumption is measured,then this value is multiplied by 365 and actual annual energy consumption is calculated.

What is the actual test procedure standards?(test room conditions,load conditions etc.)

Re: A question about energy efficiency rating in Europe

I believe that you are concerned here with the Framework EU Energy Labelling of Household Appliances Directive. I stress that it is EU legislation only, but you will need it if you are offering goods for sale in the EU from third counties.

It covers the energy efficiency of a variety of common domestic electrical products,. Dishwashers, Washing machines, Fridges and Air conditioners etc. It is concerned with providing a standard energy label for each type of product at the point of sale.

Part of the information provided on the product label provides a benchmark for estimating the annual power consumption as a single figure. The consumer then multiplies this figure by his electrical tariff to arrive at a running cost. It?s not exact, but gives a picture of the performance cost of the machine.

The only information that you can reliably use for this is, in descending order of application:

1. The framework Directive itself that covers all the products in general: 92/75/EEC.

2. The Refrigerator Directive that is concerned with the Refrigerator sector: 94/2/EC:
      http://eur-lex.europa.eu/smartapi/cg...=1994&nu_doc=2
      Amended by: (open page 10 in the official Journal).
      http://eur-lex.europa.eu/JOHtml.do?u...70:SOM:EN:HTML

3. A reference list of Harmonised standards for all Directives. The standards themselves will be mentioned in the relevant Directive.
      http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/newap...#no_ce_marking

4. EN 153, 1996: The actual harmonised standard (the European Standard, EN) that is mentioned in the Product directive is EN 153, 1996; (Methods of measuring the energy consumption of electric mains operated household refrigerators, frozen food storage cabinets, food freezers and their combinations, together with associated characteristics). This will give you the methodology that is approved for all the calculations. Because this standard is harmonised to the Directive, you must use it.

5. The UK statutory instrument (law) that enforces the product Directive in the UK:
      http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1994/Uksi_19943076_en_1.htm
      Unlike the Directives, these ONLY applies to the UK, but each member state will have a piece of domestic legislation like this that makes all the EU member state?s laws the same. It deals with the offences and penalties. I give you this just to show how it is applied.

All the EU documents will be available in most of the EU languages, but probably not in Turkish.

You will need to obtain the standard, EN 153, 1996, which is the most important document and will have the methodology that you need to use, from your country?s standards organisation. It will be available in all the main European languages.

A bit long, but it contains all the references you should need.

I hope this helps.

________
    Ford Prodigy
    Last edited by Argus; 07-02-2011 at 09:12 AM.