Fridge/freezer just stopped cooling but hums nicely :(

Unfortunately I am in a financial hardship and would kind of like to know, before somebody shows up and charges me to tell me my fridge can't be fixed, what it will cost. Or rather is it worth trying?
    I was thinking compressor now after scouring the web, maybe its just a simple thermostat.

1) I noticed in the past weeks, things in the freezer looked like they'd thawed and refroze (liquids)
    2) Days later found ice on the back of the fridge- turned down the thermostat
    3) all appeared to be fine- except I had tons of ice in the freezer- coulnd't quite defrost right then, but cleaned all the drawers and dumped any snow out.
    4) suddenly week later everything in the fridge was warm. No chill whatsoever.
    5) I shut off and cleaned the entire thing. Looks like it did on the showroom floor. Except:
    I did notice a bit of a tear in one part of the freezer door gasket (rubbery thing)

6) when I turn it on, I hear after a few seconds, a hum and noise of something circulating (gas- water sorry- I know nothing about fridges)
    The compressor warms up to the touch and seems to be running. Simply does not produce any chill whatsover.
    Repated the process. Turned off. Turned on. Changed temp. Tapped the thermostat.
    If it helps.. the very first time I turned it back on, I could have sworn there was a minimal chill on one of the coils in the freezer (lower freezer).
    Now nothing. The fridge is a simple combi- 400.0o Euro new 3.5 years ago.

Problem is, I cannot find the same model now and the size fits exactly where I have built and designed around it. Also painted the door to match my cabinetry.
    I am persisting on warm wine and tomatoes from my garden (the wine helps , but I'm getting skinny : )
    Please help.... If it's a compressor problem, no point in paying €50.00 for someone to come and tell me that it's too expensive too fix. Any advice?

Re: Fridge/freezer just stopped cooling but hums nicely :(

Sounds more like it has a refrigerant leak, most likely not worth spending any money on.
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

But, if there was a leak, does it leave any signs? Odor?
    Quote Originally Posted by monkey spanners View Post
    Sounds more like it has a refrigerant leak, most likely not worth spending any money on.

Theres no odor, and on a domestic refrigerator the leak is most likely going to be somewhere in between the walls so out of sight.

What a bummer. What causes that? I mean, if it's not a puncture and within walls?
    Also- is there any possibility that it can just be a faulty thermostat? You think I am wasting my money to have someone come and look at it? I can get someone for €30.00.
    it sounds more wise to buy a new one, but by the time I pay for it and shipping and have to move it in and also dispose of the old one (whew , think I'll keep the parts at least) and then I have to sand, prime and paint the door. I'd rather spend $150.00 and leave it be.

Also- I'd like to ask you a question. I am seeing refrigerators with smaller dimensions but more net capacity. I went to look at one and what I found is that there is 1cm less wall thickenss on both sides.
    Is this a good thing? I figure, either in 4 yrs technology is better and less insulation can maintain the same cold temp, or the manufacturers are just producing inferior referigerators with better dimensions.
    I don't want to make the mistake for opting for a new fridge that fits my space but maybe is not the same quality as what I have. Which in the end, as of today, barely made it 4 yrs.
    (p.s. thnx for your help

Theres no odor, and on a domestic refrigerator the leak is most likely going to be somewhere in between the walls so out of sight.
    Last edited by frank; 27-06-2017 at 07:57 PM.

For €30.00 i'd have it checked. As a guess i would say the more modern stuff is probably better insulated despite the thinner walls, most new stuff is made to get the best energy rating it can.
    The leak, it thats the problem, it probably from corrosion or a poorly made joint rather than mechanical damage. Things are not designed to last now.

Thanks. In fact, I figured for €30.00 I'd risk it. Cancelled an appointment that was going to cost 50.00.
    What irks me is in every other industry, you get an idea of what you are gonig to have to payout. Meaning cost per hour of work, rough estimate maybe of various parts, or just the labor.
    In this case, not one single company can tell me if they charge 50.00 an hour or 10.00 for example. Not one company will tell me if a basic thermometer is 20.00 euro or 100.00.
    This I can't stand. I will surely be out 30.00 tomorrow and if he overcharges me for even a thermostat- then what?
    I guess I can always do it myself or call my electrician for something that simple, if I think he is ripping me off.
    I am in Italy and it is a country of conniving thieves. They do crap work- ALWAYS. My husband has a construction company and I've had to deal with idiots way too many times. Generally,I like to know what I'm paying for- before I commit.

For €30.00 i'd have it checked. As a guess i would say the more modern stuff is probably better insulated despite the thinner walls, most new stuff is made to get the best energy rating it can.
    The leak, it thats the problem, it probably from corrosion or a poorly made joint rather than mechanical damage. Things are not designed to last now.

Ha! You were right genius. They guy said the compressor is fine, thermostat also and it is a problem of lack of coolant/gas whatever.
    He gave me a price of Euro 170.00 to fill it !!!
    I DIY saw kits for filling that exact gas 600a (425g) with manometer etc for €39,00.
    Hubbie called one of his plumbers, who insists he only does airconditioners, and told him to find somebody.
    Problem is I leave for vacation next week, then again in August. I'd rather put the problem of until Christmas or next time it leaks out.
    I'll see. If one of his workers offers to do it, fine. Otherwise, I'll have to buy a new one. its' the mental anguish that bother's me than anything else.
    Thanks for your wise advise.

Quote Originally Posted by mulinoo View Post
    Thanks. In fact, I figured for €30.00 I'd risk it. Canceled an appointment that was going to cost 50.00.
    What irks me is in every other industry, you get an idea of what you are gonig to have to payout. Meaning cost per hour of work, rough estimate maybe of various parts, or just the labor.
    In this case, not one single company can tell me if they charge 50.00 an hour or 10.00 for example. Not one company will tell me if a basic thermometer is 20.00 euro or 100.00.
    This I can't stand. I will surely be out 30.00 tomorrow and if he overcharges me for even a thermostat- then what?
    I guess I can always do it myself or call my electrician for something that simple, if I think he is ripping me off.
    I am in Italy and it is a country of conniving thieves. They do crap work- ALWAYS. My husband has a construction company and I've had to deal with idiots way too many times. Generally,I like to know what I'm paying for- before I commit.