Question Gree inverter split, compressor tries but fails to run?

Hi all!

I posted here a few years back trying to work out why my Inverter system kept tripping the MCB. Turned out to be a shorted bridge rectifier! Got that sorted, cooled like a champ all was good.

Leave it for the winter, and now it is getting hot - I boot it up. Inside unit runs ok, outside comes alive after 3 mins, fan runs but... The compressor tries to run for about a second and stops. It keeps on trying every min or so.

I did get an IPM error, so cleaned and re applied thermal paste to the heat sink, and that has gone away.

Interestingly if I put it in heat mode, the internal fans stop and it just sits there doing nothing. So I checked to see if the 4 way valve was stuck with a magnet, and I can hear it moving freely. It always snaps back to a position - normal?

I have metered out all the UVW coils and they are nicely balanced. Main 3 Caps are not swollen, but I have not metered them out yet.

It is a Sanyo c-6rz092h1ab - and a scroll compressor.

I am stumped, no errors to indicate bad sensors, or low pressure etc.

Could it be bad caps, seems plausable?

Refrigeration leak.. but would that stop the compressor?

Borked compressor?

BTW I am an amateur, but a technical one :-)

Any pointers on what I should look at, before I rip it out and get a new one in (which is a PITA).

Cheers!

Re: Gree inverter split, compressor tries but fails to run?

coil sensor- on indoor- in heating mode indoor fan should either run slowly or stop- until the coil temp reaches about 30deg c then it should start to increase in speed- typically could take upto 5 mins- if the coil isnt reaching 30 deg after say 5 mins then maybe low on gas- if it reaches over 30 deg and the fan doesnt increase then coil sensor
    in cooling mode the fan speed is as per the remote controller setting

Re: Gree inverter split, compressor tries but fails to run?

Quote Originally Posted by install monkey View Post
    coil sensor- on indoor- in heating mode indoor fan should either run slowly or stop- until the coil temp reaches about 30deg c then it should start to increase in speed- typically could take upto 5 mins- if the coil isnt reaching 30 deg after say 5 mins then maybe low on gas- if it reaches over 30 deg and the fan doesnt increase then coil sensor
    in cooling mode the fan speed is as per the remote controller setting
    Ta, I do remember it pausing in heat mode, but does it need the comp running to build up temp?

It does nada in heat mode even after an hour.

The compressor is trying to start in cooling mode, but never runs. On the outdoor PCB I just get the yellow led flash just after the comp tried to run. I really can't remember if I should get the green "comms ok" flash, or that comes in after the comp has started ok. As far as I know a yellow flash means compressor starting.