Hybrid View

Re: Powder Paint protects exterior shell

Sorry, but any warranty is long gone, you say you didn't need anyone to maintain this unit, you could clean it yourself, l did service and maintenance for over 40 years on refrig and a/c, part of ALL maintenance schedules was to check for any corrosion, so the customer would not end up in your situation. Have seen and replaced plenty of rusty driers, personally l don't see you getting anything out of Sporlan

Re: Powder Paint protects exterior shell

Quote Originally Posted by niceman View Post
    Sorry, but any warranty is long gone, you say you didn't need anyone to maintain this unit, you could clean it yourself, l did service and maintenance for over 40 years on refrig and a/c, part of ALL maintenance schedules was to check for any corrosion, so the customer would not end up in your situation. Have seen and replaced plenty of rusty driers, personally l don't see you getting anything out of Sporlan
    Regardless of whether employing a maintenance situation, do you really think we should resign ourselves to having these outside home AC units fail in a period of 5 years due to rusty parts?

I believe from what I see with how the rust has TOTALLY consumed this filter-drier (totally under even the 'good paint' you see in my photos), that it might well have been very difficult for the service/inspection person to have determined that this unit was failing. The rust was all happening 'underthe cover' of what appeared to be good power/paint job.

The strange thing is you don't see any 'bubbles of corrosion' under that 'good paint' remaining on the other half of the unit. But I can tell it is fully corroded down there, while not leaving tell-tale signs on the surface.

But then I guess your x-ray vision would have detected that....

Have seen and replaced plenty of rusty driers
    Can you give some details,...brands, age, special circumstances, etc?