Refrigerant prices

There may be an easy answer to my question not that I am involved too much nowadays but I can remember the days of r502/r22 phase out,when the price of refrigerant is hiked as r404a is at the present time where does the hiked price go to? it's still in stock at wholesalers prior to the hike so production costs don't come into play does it go to the wholesalers profit or does the government get the extra payment it seems a grey area to me or am I missing the obvious?.

Re: Refrigerant prices

Quote Originally Posted by cadwaladr View Post
    There may be an easy answer to my question not that I am involved too much nowadays but I can remember the days of r502/r22 phase out,when the price of refrigerant is hiked as r404a is at the present time where does the hiked price go to? it's still in stock at wholesalers prior to the hike so production costs don't come into play does it go to the wholesalers profit or does the government get the extra payment it seems a grey area to me or am I missing the obvious?.
    Well in Pakistan, they have a whole different ball game going on, majority of HVAC ppl don't even know that R22 is phasing out. They are so confused with the introduction of R410a in market. Mostly all new split unit are coming with the R410a. Talking about price mostly Chinese brand dominate the market so they are cheaper to buy, R22 China will cost around 55$ and if you purchase DuPont it will cost around 85$, Honeywell R22 is around 110$, these are thfe prices you will pay in off season in summer when demand is high prices go up, around 10$ for every brand. Cylinder weights are 13.5kgs. Ate the prices we have are about the same you have it over there.
    R404a Honeywell cost around 140$, some vendor charge 160$ as well when ther is shortage in market.

Also Indian R22 is good as well, it's cylinder cost around 65$.

Here 404a is approaching £20 a kilo,and rising month on month,no more r22 it's banned and no longer is in existence,if my memory is good 60 kilos of r22 cost £1300 before it phased out!!

hookster is offline Veteran Poster I am starting to push the Mods: of RE

We are seeing the price being hiked for R404a over 100% since December to force us to change as the new quota systems come into being. The question I have is R410a / R32 has just risen 20%. As R32 is in higher production and used in all the blends should this not be falling. Or are we just seeing a massive greedy price hike on refrigerants by our gas suppliers?
    Because what has changed for R32, manufacture costs? Delivery costs? storage costs?
    I love the smell of Ammonia in the morning!

As the wholesalers sell out they have to buy at new inflated price, i would say 90% of hike goes to manufacturer and assorted agents along the way. One unforeseen consequence of brexit is that our gas suppliers need to find an alternate route to ship to us, currently everything comes through uk, upshot is even more expense!
    Mostly found in the southern part of this green and pleasant land.

I thought the hike was the manufacturers gain I don't see the benefit issue,although in the republic of Ireland (fantastic country by the way) the currency is the euro ,is most refrigerant imported into the UK? what % is manufactured here.if I was a wise wholesaler or a fridgie with plenty of cash I would have filled a warehouse with the stuff forget trying to win the lottery!

You and me both cadwaladr. Anther 50% rise in r404a 1st july and another 20% on r134a. Why. Is r134a being phased out as well and what is the replacement for r404a.

So ok your a wholesaler and have plenty of stock this month which you have purchased,so next month it increases 50% something's stinks!!!!