Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    england
    Age
    70
    Posts
    129
    Rep Power
    9

    Meat Ageing Coldroom



    Has anybody had any experiance with meat ageing rooms. I have to work out what equipment i need for a room 3mtrs x 1.7mtrs x 2mtrs high. Polyeurothane panels with a concrete floor. Sales engineers seem to shy away from sizing equipment in case it does'nt work. Any ideas.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    telford
    Posts
    1,871
    Rep Power
    24

    Re: Meat Ageing Coldroom

    Quick answer is no,but I looked up(what does meat aging mean) on Google and there are some interesting answers on there?.

  3. #3
    hookster's Avatar
    hookster is offline Veteran Poster I am starting to push the Mods: of RE
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    430
    Rep Power
    25

    Re: Meat Ageing Coldroom

    Quote Originally Posted by doormaster2008 View Post
    Has anybody had any experiance with meat ageing rooms. I have to work out what equipment i need for a room 3mtrs x 1.7mtrs x 2mtrs high. Polyeurothane panels with a concrete floor. Sales engineers seem to shy away from sizing equipment in case it does'nt work. Any ideas.
    That is because we have a mass of 'sales engineers' who can only select AC from published data with no idea!

    Is this for a commercial application? What is your design Kg throughput in product load (Meat). Without this it's impossible to select.

    You need to select your equipment to hold room at 0 - 4 degC, Set point at 2 DegC with a diff on 1 DegC. The RH on selection of your Evaporator should be aimed at 70 - 80 % RH (optimal 78%). Over size your fans from standard evaporator selections as you want continuous full air flow across the meat at all times 0.5 - 2 m/s. Evaporator should be full stainless steel. I like to select my equipment with high evaporation temperatures to minimise cold draft affecting enzyme action on the meat being affected.

    For a commercial application you need to consider adding humidity control via humidifier and fresh air make up with filtration to reduce yield loss and UV sterilisation. Key is temperature band RH 2 DegC & 78% RH. Achieve that and your client will be pleased, fail and their yeild loss is too great to be profitable business (Dry aging is an expensive meat production process)
    I love the smell of Ammonia in the morning!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    ISRAEL
    Age
    65
    Posts
    4,098
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: Meat Ageing Coldroom

    I would suggest to use a double discharge evaporator with low air blow so that cool air will not blow straight on the meat. It will make it dry.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    england
    Age
    70
    Posts
    129
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Meat Ageing Coldroom

    Quote Originally Posted by hookster View Post
    That is because we have a mass of 'sales engineers' who can only select AC from published data with no idea!

    Is this for a commercial application? What is your design Kg throughput in product load (Meat). Without this it's impossible to select.

    You need to select your equipment to hold room at 0 - 4 degC, Set point at 2 DegC with a diff on 1 DegC. The RH on selection of your Evaporator should be aimed at 70 - 80 % RH (optimal 78%). Over size your fans from standard evaporator selections as you want continuous full air flow across the meat at all times 0.5 - 2 m/s. Evaporator should be full stainless steel. I like to select my equipment with high evaporation temperatures to minimise cold draft affecting enzyme action on the meat being affected.

    For a commercial application you need to consider adding humidity control via humidifier and fresh air make up with filtration to reduce yield loss and UV sterilisation. Key is temperature band RH 2 DegC & 78% RH. Achieve that and your client will be pleased, fail and their yeild loss is too great to be profitable business (Dry aging is an expensive meat production process)
    Hi Hookster. Its a local butcher who will be hanging 2 sides of beef which will be in for about 4 weeks. There will be a u v light and himalayan salt blocks. The main concern is the humidity which is scaring the sales engineers off because they dont know how to keep it up to 78%.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    ISRAEL
    Age
    65
    Posts
    4,098
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: Meat Ageing Coldroom

    Put a small humidifier in the room.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    england
    Age
    70
    Posts
    129
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Meat Ageing Coldroom

    Would you use an oversize or undersized evaporator

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    ISRAEL
    Age
    65
    Posts
    4,098
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: Meat Ageing Coldroom

    Quote Originally Posted by doormaster2008 View Post
    Would you use an oversize or undersized evaporator
    I dont see any reason, get a slower speed fans.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    devon
    Age
    46
    Posts
    769
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: Meat Ageing Coldroom

    You need a temp range from plus two to plus 18 depending on type of meat
    Humidity control either dryer or steam pot usually around 70 to 80 rh
    Some require a fresh air input
    I've nevery needed one that requires heat
    Then you need a program that ramps the temp down over days ie two days at 18 two days at 16 two days at 14 etc etc it depends on bacteria required on product
    Your kws depends on load really kilo of weight and time ta charlie

  10. #10
    hookster's Avatar
    hookster is offline Veteran Poster I am starting to push the Mods: of RE
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    430
    Rep Power
    25

    Re: Meat Ageing Coldroom

    Quote Originally Posted by doormaster2008 View Post
    Hi Hookster. Its a local butcher who will be hanging 2 sides of beef which will be in for about 4 weeks. There will be a u v light and himalayan salt blocks. The main concern is the humidity which is scaring the sales engineers off because they dont know how to keep it up to 78%.
    You will want to oversize the evaporator to raise your suction temperature, TD is the crucial design factor to maintain your RH. The smaller the difference in temperature between the evaporator surface and the room, the higher the relative humidity in the chamber. Design and set up system for 8 - 9 K TD and your chamber RH will be 80 - 76 % RH. You will not need any additional humidity control on this small chamber.

    Salt walls are the trendy thing at the moment but it is just BS in my book. but at least it keeps the salt cutters in the Punjab employed!
    I love the smell of Ammonia in the morning!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    england
    Age
    70
    Posts
    129
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Meat Ageing Coldroom

    Thanks hookster. That is very helpful.the sales engineer said smaller cooler but that will reduce suction pressure and rh

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •