Liquid line strainer sizing?

Hey guys,
    Hopefully this is a simple one.

I'm installing a 3 ton 2 stage 410A system in my own home. Something that bothers me, is the manufacturer stuck the filter drier in the outdoor unit. I don't want to put a second one before the TXV, so I figured I'd just throw a strainer on it for good measure at the TXV. I was going to also have a sight glass (primarily as a moisture indicator) as well right after the strainer.

I just don't like the idea of not having anything protecting the TXV from who knows in 50 feet of line set.

My concern after getting this in my hand is, does this thing have enough surface area or am I going to be begging for a restriction?

It's made for a 3/8" liquid line, which is what I'm using. I'm just surprised it's not a lot bigger.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MrTube; 03-05-2017 at 06:25 PM.

Re: Liquid line strainer sizing?

As long as you follow good engineering practice when you do the install, what difference will it make which end of a tube your drier/strainer is fitted to?

If your skills are on par then fitting additional strainers / driers is unnecessary and only add another 2 points of possible failure.
    If, on the other hand, you are not confident that you will be able to keep the installation clean whilst working on it then no filter you are able to fit will be large enough...

Quote Originally Posted by The Viking View Post
    As long as you follow good engineering practice when you do the install, what difference will it make which end of a tube your drier/strainer is fitted to?

If your skills are on par then fitting additional strainers / driers is unnecessary and only add another 2 points of possible failure.
    If, on the other hand, you are not confident that you will be able to keep the installation clean whilst working on it then no filter you are able to fit will be large enough...

Oh I'm sure I can keep things reasonably clean, flowing nitrogen while brazing, cleaning pipe with end facing down etc.

I guess my fear is I was taught to always use a strainer before the metering device, though that was on capillary tube equipment.

Yes, good practice is to have a drier or strainer before the metering device but it doesn't need to be just before. As long as there are no parts that might fail and create debris between the two you will be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by The Viking View Post
    Yes, good practice is to have a drier or strainer before the metering device but it doesn't need to be just before. As long as there are no parts that might fail and create debris between the two you will be safe.

So basically, go ahead and use the strainer. Or don't, either way it'll be fine if I work clean?

Worse case, it's two more leak points.