effects of changing evaporator size on the performance of different refrigerants

Is there a formula or rule of thumb on retrofitting from R22 to 407c on the effects of changing evaporator size. I know 407c will run at slightly higher pressure and not perform as well. Is there a way to help this with installing a slightly larger evaporator? This would be in a split residential system.

Re: effects of changing evaporator size on the performance of different refrigerants

Sorry,
    But if you are looking at a residential split system then retrofitting is unlikely to be a financially viable option.
    By the time you have paid for the parts, gas, oil and labour you could have had a brand new system, with warranty, installed.

effects of changing evaporator size on the performance of different refrigerants

Is there a formula or rule of thumb on retrofitting from R22 to 407c on the effects of changing evaporator size. I know 407c will run at slightly higher pressure and not perform as well. Is there a way to help this with installing a slightly larger evaporator? This would be in a split residential system.

Re: effects of changing evaporator size on the performance of different refrigerants

Dear Stryped,
    Is the idea that if you don't like the answer then you start a new thread with the same question?

Please, one thread per question work much better as we all will see the all the answers.

My reply from your other thread on the same topic:

Sorry,
    But if you are looking at a residential split system then retrofitting is unlikely to be a financially viable option.
    By the time you have paid for the parts, gas, oil and labour you could have had a brand new system, with warranty, installed.

I would still like to know the answer, for knowledge purposes.

Sorry. I dont understand what happened. I posted with my phone and must have messed something up.
    It is more a theoretical question. I know when automotive switched from r 12 to 134, condensors and wvaporators got bigger. Did central as well when they went from r22 to 410a? What performance be in a 410 system using r22? I just wondered what could be done to make r22 systems with alternative refrigerants perform as well or better than they did origionally....

The changes in the evaporators from R22 to R407C were marginal and labelled at the time as being 'optimised'. When the systems changed from R407C to R410A, due to the greater heat transfer efficiency, the evaporators and condenser coils become smaller and the overall footprint of both indoor and outdoor units became smaller. The amount of refrigerant content also became considerably less.
    As the Viking mentioned the most cost effective method would be to replace the complete system.
    Mobile A/C at its best, see avatar.
    Bedford. Now retired and trying to relax.

So if a person replaced and evaporator on an R22 system with a replacement 410 evaporator does that mean it would perform not as well being that you said 410 equipment became smaller? Again being hypothetical here just trying to understand evaporator size with different refrigerants. So maybe in that case a higher tonnage coil designed for 410 would work better in an R22 system in that scenario. Again irregardless of the evaporator physically fit fitting excetera

Different refrigerants have different heat transfer.
    Therefore to maintain the same cooling capacity, evaporators will be designed to meet the characteristics of different refrigerants.

Can you use a replacement evaporator that was made for use with 410a on a r22 system?

If the evaporator capacity is in the region on + - 10%, No problems.
    Only need to adjust TXV.

Yes. Agree with chemi-cool.

climatrolcs.com
    Last edited by justinpierce982; 30-06-2017 at 02:31 PM.