Is it possible to replace AC compressor with gas engine?

So I occasionally visit a cabin in the boonies which doesn't have electricity. I use a Honda 1 kva inverter genset and though it works well, it obviously cant power an AC.

So I have one of these units lying spare:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ramsond-1...7GW2/203013144

Its a few years old but works alright. I was wondering if it would be possible to remove the motor and run it directly off an engine? I'm assuming the rest of the parts would run okay off my 1kva gen.

As it so happens, I also have another 1.5kva generator whose alternator is busted but the engine is still good. So if this could work I'd save a lot of money...

I inquired about a generator which could power my AC directly but the guy at the shop said due to 'compressor surge' of the AC I'd need at least a 5kva unit which costs several grand :/.
    So is this doable? Practical? Any other advice?

Re: Is it possible to replace AC compressor with gas engine?

I don't see it as doable sorry!
    Grizzly
    Despite the High Cost of Living it still remains Popular!

Short answer - No, sorry.

The air conditioner works because something is pushing the refrigerant around inside the system, in an air condition unit this is done by an hermetically sealed compressor. It is not possible to remove "the motor" as this is internal to the compressor.

To achieve what you are after you need to design and build a system based on an old open drive compressor but by the time that is up an running it would have been cheaper to buy that 5Kva generator in the first place.

Another option would be to get a modern top of the range air condition system with inverter drive as they don't have any surges but then you need a high quality generator as they are sensitive to variations in the power supply.

Hi TTA
    If you do as the Viking says and buy a new Inverter A/C you will need to get an Inverter Generator otherwise you will damage the electronics in the new A/C. You might be able to get an Inverter to clean up the power on on an ordinary generator but you would need to check with a generator supplier.
    Whatever way you go its going to be costly.
    Regards
    Paul
    Born to fish, forced to work

I think it is not possible to replace AC compressor with gas engine because these two are separate things and AC compressor need high voltage power.

Quote Originally Posted by aarenabbi View Post
    I think it is not possible to replace AC compressor with gas engine because these two are separate things and AC compressor need high voltage power.
    Hello aarenabbi

I keep waiting for the sting in your tail, I might be completely out
    of order here but I get the feeling you are waiting to pounce once
    you have built up enough post activity with a sales campaign or such
    like.

The statement above is both correct and utter rubbish, just like the
    majority of your posts here. You seem to copy the consensus of opinion
    and change it in subtle ways (poorly if I might rudely add).

I can't weigh you up, are you a web writer and designer, as your profile suggests?
    Or are you interested in AC and refrigeration and just trying to gain acceptance?

If you are interested in AC and refrigeration I'm sorry if this post offends.
    Most people on here ask advice, give advice, have a laugh, get serious, become rude,
    try to help, need help, want to talk, want to listen and or just plain and simple
    want to use the site for some scam of some sort and I honestly can't work out
    what you want.

If you are trying to help people and gain acceptance, why not introduce yourself
    and we'll have a talk at how rude some people can be.

Regards

Rob

Last edited by Rob White; 02-05-2017 at 01:42 PM.
    .. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrueAmerican View Post
    So I occasionally visit a cabin in the boonies which doesn't have electricity. I use a Honda 1 kva inverter genset and though it works well, it obviously cant power an AC.

So I have one of these units lying spare:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ramsond-1...7GW2/203013144

Its a few years old but works alright. I was wondering if it would be possible to remove the motor and run it directly off an engine? I'm assuming the rest of the parts would run okay off my 1kva gen.

As it so happens, I also have another 1.5kva generator whose alternator is busted but the engine is still good. So if this could work I'd save a lot of money...

I inquired about a generator which could power my AC directly but the guy at the shop said due to 'compressor surge' of the AC I'd need at least a 5kva unit which costs several grand :/.
    So is this doable? Practical? Any other advice?
    It sounds good in theory and I like the enginuity (see what i did there?) but unfortunately it won't work because the ac won't be sealed.

I had an idea a long time ago to use an A\C compressor out of a car powered by a small 5-8HP engine to make a camping air conditioner.

Never happened, but I still think it's plausible.

I can't remember anymore, but I thought the typical automotive air conditioner was good for something like 1 or 2 tons?

I'm surprised nobody else have jumped in on this...
    Surely I'm not the only old fart that learnt the trade back when open compressors were the norm?

Instead of your car A/C compressor you want to use an old fashioned open type reciprocating compressor, like the BITZER here. Looking at their website, they are not as old fashioned as I thought...

My retirement plan is to find a cabin by a river, a water wheel driving an open compressor for heating/refrigeration/Air-con needs, a rifle and a shotgun for food and a still for "that little extra".
    Dreams, dreams, dreams....

Its not possible to changes with a gas engine. Esmo will try to change this process.

EldoraBReese Guest

It is not possible to replace the Air Compressor with gas engine. If you are finding the rates are very high at the particular place you asked, you can also check other places as well to confirm does that motor really charges that much or not. If the charges are same and you also need to purchase it according to your need. You can refer the best deal.