Home refrigerator freezing things

Model: Indesit BA13

I have a refrigerator that is freezing food from time to time in the refrigerator box. I am not sure what is the first (and 2nd and 3rd) thing I should check. I'm a mechanical engineer with theoretical refrigeration knowledge but I haven't done much work on refrigeration systems.

Thanks!
    Sean

Re: Home refrigerator freezing things

Hello Sean
    how long has it been since you carried out a full defrost ....i.e. unplugging the appliance and leaving the doors open for 48 hours?
    There is a vent between the freezer and fridge that transports the cold air from the freezer section into the fridge. This has a flap which closes when the fridge is cold enough. If you are experiencing very low temperatures in the fridge it is more than likely that the flap is stuck in the open position by frost build up.
    the easiest way to clear it is to do a full defrost.
    if the problem re-occurs after a full defrost then you need to look at the flap mechanism and the thermostat that controls it

Frank,

Thank you for your reply! I will do a defrost next week and let you know what happens!

Just a quick follow up to your reply: I changed the doors to swing from the other side several months ago, and for the first week or so the seal didn't really seal very well, and the freezer got very frosty very quick. I worked the seal with a hair dryer, etc, and now it *seems* back to normal. And I don't believe the fridge is freezing up any faster than before I made the change, but do you think this could be what initiated my problem?

Thanks again!
    Sean

If the door seals are not good then lots of moisture enters the comparment causing havoc

Is there a way to test the door seals beyond trying to slide a piece of paper in there? The seals pass the paper test, so I'm not sure if they are the problem anymore. But last time I did the power off/doors open defrost, I only did it for a few hours until the freezer was visually dry. But if you say 48 hrs is necessary, maybe that got clogged up when the seal was not sealing fully, and I never gave it time to defrost completely. Like I said I will give it the full 48 hr rest, and report back. Thanks!

Hey Frank,

I did the defrost but the refrigerator is still freezing things. I'm not familiar with the flap mechanism you mentioned. Do you have info as to how I can go about checking that?

Thanks!
    Sean

The 'tunnel between the fridge section and the freezer section on a single compressor model allows the colder air to enter the fridge from the freezer and when the fridge is down to temperature, the flap shuts to stop any further cooling, while the freezer continues to cool.

If the flap across the tunnel becomes blocked by frost/ice, then the fridge section can over cool past the required temperature resulting in frozen milk etc.

If you have a single compressor fridge freezer and you are losing control of the temperature in the fridge section, then the problem is 99% of the time something to do with the tunnel flap.

The flap operates via a thermostat so if you have done a 48 hour defrost and still have problems, then a close inspection of the flap is required. If it is clear of obstructions, the next remedy is to replace the flap thermostat.

Hi Frank, yes, I did the 48 hour defrost. But that didn't fix it. So next step is the close inspection of the flap. My question is, where is the flap and how to do I get to it?

Thanks!
    Sean

Sean

I'm not familiar with your particular model and I rarely touch domestics (friends and family).

There most certainly will be a flap control at either high level or low level depending on which way your freezer fan is blowing. There should also be a return tunnel without a flap.

You will have to strip out the rear panels of the freezer section to reveal the evaporator and see which way your fan is blowing

Hi Frank,

My model is an Indesit BA13 and the freezer coils are actually exposed the freezer compartment. They are distributed horizontally in between the freezer drawers. As far as I can tell there is no fan at all and no tunnel. I'm wondering if there are two evaporators and some sort of thermostatically controlled solenoid that allows refrigerant into the refrigerator evaporator?

seanppp,
    If seal on doors are sealing correctly, door should be a bit hard to open.
    If not something wrong.
    Can you also use thermometer to see what fridge is running at, need good quality & something that wont react as soon as you open door for accurate reading like a thermometer in a sheath.
    Maybe thermostat is set a bit low?
    Set at 3-4 deg C

Check the thermostat phial is making good contact with the evaporator if it is get a new stat