Screaming Compressor - High internal pressure? Approx repair costs?

Hi,

My compressor is making an incredibly loud screaming noise. I read online this can be due to Dangerously high internal pressure.

1. Could it be something else? i.e. would a leak cause this noise?
    2. Is there a way I can diagnose what the problem is myself?
    3. If it is excessive pressure, what is the rough cost to repair? Ballpark figure?

Thanks

Update:: Interestingly, i ran it for several hours the last few days and there was no noise whatsoever. Worked perfectly. Then just now i tried it and its screaming again
    Last edited by sosolid4u09; 09-04-2017 at 01:10 AM.

Re: Screaming Compressor - High internal pressure? Approx repair costs?

What is the make and model of the compressor and what kind of equipment is it in?

Could be anywhere from a few hundred £££ to tens of thousands depending on the size and type of system.
    Its like saying my engine won't work, could be in a lawn mower or an ocean going container ship...
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

Hi, sosolid4u09

Quote Originally Posted by sosolid4u09 View Post
    Hi,

My compressor is making an incredibly loud screaming noise. I read online this can be due to Dangerously high internal pressure.

1. Could it be something else? i.e. would a leak cause this noise?
    2. Is there a way I can diagnose what the problem is myself?
    3. If it is excessive pressure, what is the rough cost to repair? Ballpark figure?

Thanks
    Probably you have screw compressor with liquid in the suction ... liquid is not compressible as gas and cannot reduce the volume thus you have a very high pressure ... and your compressor is screaming for help ... actually your compressor is flooded with liquid refrigerant ...

running it with condition you described, you will need to repair or to replace compressor soon ...

Best regards,

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.

Quote Originally Posted by NH3LVR View Post
    What is the make and model of the compressor and what kind of equipment is it in?
    Its the eiq 12WMINVQC.

Quote Originally Posted by monkey spanners View Post
    Could be anywhere from a few hundred £££ to tens of thousands depending on the size and type of system.
    Its like saying my engine won't work, could be in a lawn mower or an ocean going container ship...
    Its a domestic 12000btu system for an out building. Eiq 12WMINVQC.

Interestingly, i ran it for several hours the last few days and there was no noise whatsoever. Worked perfectly. Then just now i tried it and its screaming again......

Quote Originally Posted by Josip View Post
    Hi, sosolid4u09

Probably you have screw compressor with liquid in the suction ... liquid is not compressible as gas and cannot reduce the volume thus you have a very high pressure ... and your compressor is screaming for help ... actually your compressor is flooded with liquid refrigerant ...

running it with condition you described, you will need to repair or to replace compressor soon ...

Best regards,
    Thanks for the response.

Its an eiq 12 wminvqc. Interestingly, i ran it for several hours the last few days and there was no noise whatsoever. Worked perfectly. Then just now i tried it and its screaming again

Check the outdoor fan is running (faulty fan could cause the internal pressure valve to open in the compressor), also try running in heating then cooling (reversing valve stuck in middle position could again cause compressor internal pressure valve to open)
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)