Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Age
    48
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    0

    Evaporator or Condenser Tubes Bundles Allowable percentage plugging



    Dear Friends,

    Hi, We have YORK Johnson Controls Centrifugal Water Chillers that diagnosed has evaporator tubes were leaking due to tube freezing. Is there any articles for allowable percentage of tube to be plug for repair. Or even any OEM stated these tolerances?

    Thanks in advance in your comments.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    1,869
    Rep Power
    21

    Re: Evaporator or Condenser Tubes Bundles Allowable percentage plugging

    Have you had an eddy test carried out on the tubes?

    You don't want to plug any more than 10% of the number of tubes.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

    Marc

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Age
    48
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Evaporator or Condenser Tubes Bundles Allowable percentage plugging

    Hi marc5180,

    Yes, we carried out eddy current test, the results were:
    Evaporator has 13.3 % tubes leaking, plus 8% thinning of tubes, for a total of 21.3% tubes were defective. That means, not a good idea to plug the tubes. Instead, is it re-tubing of evaporator tubes bundle?

    Thanks for your comment.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    1,869
    Rep Power
    21

    Re: Evaporator or Condenser Tubes Bundles Allowable percentage plugging

    Hi Xelazman,

    With 21% of the tubes defective then yes, your only option is to replace/retube.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

    Marc

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •