Thread: Whirlpool k20

Whirlpool k20

How does the filling solenoid know when to stop filling the water tank with water?
    cant seem to see a float switch, or is it build into the water pump?
    Thank

Re: Whirlpool k20

On a k20 it stops water when evaporator warm enough trips ice sensor and back to cool water inlet stops water pump and comp on there is no manuall switch but they occasionally suffer a neutral issue which sometimes it won't go to df or come on df if ice thickness stat set to min it's on df all the time you can feel a click on the stat

Thanks for the reply
    The fault ive got is, the water filling solenoid isn't filling the tank, the water pump and comp are both running. from memory the power comes from the water pump to the solenoid. I may be wrong. would a faulty water pump cause the water not to fill? I touched the connection on the pump and it started filling, but cant get it to do it again.

They have a bit of a crazy wiring set up but the diagram is too complex to make out. Somewhere there's a simpler version which makes sense.
    Goes something like pump + water inlet and fan + hot gas are wired in series. Evap probe shorts across water inlet and hot gas. When it goes open circuit, water inlet and hot gas get voltage across them and goes to neutral through pump and motor. Crazy but pretty clever really.
    Will endeavor to send you the diagram to email in your profile when I get a chance. Prob late tomorrow as working during the day. Boo hiss. :-[
    Unless you're near Farnham and I'll stick my nose in. :-]

should only fill when in harvest mode- but they switch neutrals and as you say the wiring diagram is a knightmare

The water inlet only functions on hot gas defrost mode I believe it should fill the tank during defrost then water pump cuts in if you move the ice thickness stat to minimum setting you will feel a click unit should then go to defrost allowing hot gas defrost and water into tank if it does not either stat failed or neutral fault on system if you move stat and system has been cooling for a bit and no defrost pull wires of hot gas valve water pump etc one at a time if a part has failed as soon as you pull a wire of say hot gas valve and it goes to defrost there is your fault does the system actually go to defrost or just make a solid lump of ice as water valves are prone to failure

Thanks for all your help. Ive been messing about with all day, and found if I turn the ice thickness stat pasted the minimum it eventually clicked and went into harvesting, since then it work as normal. think the stat was sticking or something. I take it this stat is the main brain of the system and controls the whole sequence. For ages I couldn't get the ice sheet to slide from the plate and it kept on getting thicker. Eventually I found out the room has to be 15c or above, mine was only around 10c. After 3 electric fan heaters got it to slide every harvest. Also the unit wastes a lot of water during harvesting, tops up the amount of water for the ice sheet and the rest goes straight out the overflow.

That's good then.

Got a couple of documents attached, diagram and explanation of operation I found somewhere of the interweb.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Health and safety first..........unless I'm in a hurry.