Question can a r22 split system condensing unit be used to cool a display fridge

just wandering how well a standard outdoor unit from a split system aircon will work to cool a display fridge where the liquid line is direct expanded into the suction line which "snaked" along the stainless steel base of the display case. The gas used is r22 and the temp maintained is desird to be 3 deg c.

The reason this may want to be trialed is its extremely cheap to buy a split aircon ($250) for 2kw capacity (with a good matsu****a compressor)as oposed to a proper condensing unit for the dispaly fridge

Re: can a r22 split system condensing unit be used to cool a display fridge

you can do it with a few tricks, make sure your outdoor unit does not have a metring device in the liquid line,fit a drier, do not use a pump down as you do not have a reciever,you can fit a solinoid but it must just shut off with the compressor to stop migration,fit a hp/lp switch and anti short cycle timer or set it on the controller,and bingo,there are loads of new condensing units over here that are based on air con now.

Ya I'd say it would work great with some required redesigning a bit to fit it in snugly.

As long as the indoor unit electronics don't need to comunicate with the outdoor unit to get it to run.You would have rip all the electronic control out and replace with mechanical HP/LP etc.

No warranty!!!!

ascon units i have done it with dont have any electronics on,just a simple L&N connection,the controllers on the indoor,they do supply theese as a match for small cellar coolers,thats the way its going,point taken though,pick your unit carefully.

We do it many times.
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

We do it many times.
    If you need 5 kW at -10 °C then choose a 10 kW AC unit (it will run then with a DT of +/- 7K)
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

I see it often enough, but I am a believer that the money spent on a proper fridge unit is money well spent. Here is a broader, but related trend that I see with startup markets who earn success: They use the cheapest and pre-owned equipment and the least experienced installation contractor to put their first store together.

If the market is successful and growing, the evolution is toward using newer equipment and more highly qualified technicians for installation and service.

The expense of good refrigeration equipment is there for good reasons. The need for using less expensive alternatives is also there for good reasons.

The lesson that is learned during the process of succeeding is that the market sees that it makes less money, ultimately, by cutting corners on equipment and contracting. I think it is a necessary process and therefore am not prissy about putting an air conditioning unit on a refrigeration application.

But I also know that there are good reasons to pay 3 times the price for a properly applied refrigeration unit installed by a more qualified technician.