I see it often enough, but I am a believer that the money spent on a proper fridge unit is money well spent. Here is a broader, but related trend that I see with startup markets who earn success: They use the cheapest and pre-owned equipment and the least experienced installation contractor to put their first store together.

If the market is successful and growing, the evolution is toward using newer equipment and more highly qualified technicians for installation and service.

The expense of good refrigeration equipment is there for good reasons. The need for using less expensive alternatives is also there for good reasons.

The lesson that is learned during the process of succeeding is that the market sees that it makes less money, ultimately, by cutting corners on equipment and contracting. I think it is a necessary process and therefore am not prissy about putting an air conditioning unit on a refrigeration application.

But I also know that there are good reasons to pay 3 times the price for a properly applied refrigeration unit installed by a more qualified technician.