Accumulator , Insulated or not ?

Dear All,

As you know accumulator is a device that by using that we protect compressor from floodback.
    1 - Some sources tell that we should use insulation around accumulator to prevent energy loss and suction of compressor help to evaporate liquid at bottom of accumulator.
    2 - Some other sources tell, We should not insulate accumulator around and put it naked to exchange heat with environment and it helps to evaporate liquid at bottom of accumulator.

What do you think ? Which opinion is better ?

Sincerely yours.

Re: Accumulator , Insulated or not ?

It depends on weather fridge or freezer freezer always lag but I would say lag and a heating element why take the risk the down side to lagging is the sods always rust underneath

Hi Mortezania
    It all depends on the application.
    If you are using as a suction trap to protect the compressor from flood back I would leave it uninsulated on a Chiller / Coolroom and probably only insulate the top half on a Freezer, although I have seen many on Freezers not insulated at all.
    In my opinion I would use uninsulated in all cases.
    The problem with insulating the entire vessel is as Charlie has said, corrosion and also it takes longer to boil off any refrigerant.
    Regards
    Paul
    Born to fish, forced to work

But if it's heated and insulated surely it would work better,painting it with good anti corrosion paint would inhibit corrosion,my old retired top class engineer friend always did this on freezers,55 years in the trade and I always took his advice? But he may have been wrong!

Hi Cadwaladr
    Agreed a heater would help boil off the liquid, but it is on all the time so you are adding heat to the suction gas, may as well leave it uninsulated.
    Even if you paint with the best anti corrosion paint it doesn't last.
    If the insulation is not completely vapour sealed moisture will get between insulation and vessel and this will damage the paint over time and corrosion will occur. If it is left uninsulated the amount of corrosion can be monitored.
    Regards
    Paul
    Born to fish, forced to work

Thank you for putting this issues in this forum. I am waiting from long time for this answer.