Did I kill my Fridge?

I was recharging my 134a last night in my kitchen fridge that stopped cooling and at first overcharged, then removed some gas because i was getting frost back to the compressor.

I now have running psi at 2-3 freezer is -5f and fridge is 36f.

2 concerns

Seems like the compressor doesn't stop running. Every time I come by the fridge it's running. Right now both compartments are empty. Tonight I am going to check for frost build-up on the evap coil and check the line back to the compressor.

I used Artic Freeze Auto A/C Recharge that says "synthetic refrigerant". I was on an auto web site and all of their 134a (including this one) says not for AC powered compressors.

Did I kill my fridge by using this 134a?

Roveer

Re: Did I kill my Fridge?

What I would have done is one reclaimed the remaining refrigerant after leak testing,thus finding out how much refrigerant was in the fridge as per the data plate then that would be an indication if it was short as most fridges don't consume gas there has to be a leak needs must in times of emergency but bar bottle coolers have lead me astray in the past so this is the procedure I use,the frost back method in my opinion is a no no,find out if it has a leak first don't short cut because they bite!

I agree with your process completely. When I first researched refrigeration repairs that what exactly what I learned to do. Problem is, I don't have the equipment to recover 134a. I don't have a pump etc. So unfortunately when in a pinch I use the PSI recharge method to get by. This is just my fridge. I don't work on any other equipment for anyone else. What is more troubling is that when I had this repaired last year by calling a refrigerator repair company (highly recommended), they did exactly as I did. Just put in 134a by PSI. That's pretty disappointing. Not every 1,400 refrigerator is beyond repair. He spent all of 2 minutes with the leak detector (after the unit had already leaked most of the refrigerant) and couldn't find anything. I've read all about how you charge the lines and look for leaks under pressure. Nope, he wasn't having any of that. How disappointing is that.

I appreciate your contribution.

You have put us in a position where to advice you goes against
    20 or 30 years of regulation change in Europe and a change in the
    mindset of the engineer to move away from "Just Topping Up"

"Just Topping Up" is everything we are taught not to do and in Europe
    we face prison and heavy fines if we flout the law.

Does that mean it does not happen? Of course not, it happens every
    day and most of the time the people get away with it, but for us to
    advise you on how to do that goes against every thing we are now taught
    and work towards.....

So if it was 30 years ago I would have advised you to make sure there was
    no air in your gauge lines, by purging them with the R134a and then filling
    the system up to exactly 6 psi on the suction. Check to make sure the suction
    does not freeze back and adjust accordingly. Be patient and do it in small
    amounts.

That's what I would have advised 30 years ago, I can't advise that now because
    I would be locked up for it.

Rob

Ps if it is leaking it will only get worse.

.. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..

You had me laughing here Rob,
    I think that there is some air by now in the system.
    In domestic fridge\freezers, A very small internal diameter cap tube is used. Refrigerant amounts are no more than a few hundreds grammes and should be weigh correctly. Drier must be replaced.

R-134a works as a massive internal cleaner so drier\filter gets clogged sometimes.

A vacuum pump is a must as it run with evaporating temp of -30C.

Looks to me that you need a pro to make it run again.

Quote Originally Posted by chemi-cool View Post
    You had me laughing here Rob,
    I think that there is some air by now in the system.
    In domestic fridge\freezers, A very small internal diameter cap tube is used. Refrigerant amounts are no more than a few hundreds grammes and should be weigh correctly. Drier must be replaced.

R-134a works as a massive internal cleaner so drier\filter gets clogged sometimes.

A vacuum pump is a must as it run with evaporating temp of -30C.

Looks to me that you need a pro to make it run again.
    Well its running -20c freezer, 2.2c fridge. I'd be more than happy to have a pull reclaim/dryer/recharge if I could find a worthy individual or company that would do it. It's a nasty business here in US. Nobody wants to do competent work anymore. I'll probably end up so disgusted that I'll buy the necessary equipment and do it myself.