GE Fridge - first overcharge but now undercharge? how do I even it out?

Fridge stopped cooling over the weekend. Had this problem once before and had to pay 160 bucks for a top off. Figured it was the same problem (small leak) and decided to buy gauges and 134a myself since the piercing valve was already installed.

It was reading -1 PSI running so I charged it to 5 psi running. Cooled but frost line ran back to compressor and partway down the side. That to me indicated overcharge. so I unplugged, let pressure build in gauge 10-20 psi bled some out, plugged back in and repeated the process checking the frost line. Did this 5-6 times. Got a little impatient and bled out a lot but running I'm at 2-3 psi. Frost is no longer back to compressor but frost line on evap coil is almost to the top (I'd say one row of pipe shy of totally covered). Also saw some frost on line running out of freezer back to compressor, just outside the box). Fridge is cooling (have to check with a thermometer that I didn't have last night), but every time I go by fridge it's running. Concerned that I may have bled out too much.

I put some 134a back in but I don't want to go around in circles if I should be doing something else.

Suggestions?

Does frost line not to top of evap coil mean not enough 134a? Seems like (could just be me), it was blowing colder when I had it overcharged but not sure.

Roveer

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: GE Fridge - first overcharge but now undercharge? how do I even it out?

Difficult to tell if charge is correct until fridge is down at design temperature.

Best to weigh in correct charge.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_UK View Post
    Difficult to tell if charge is correct until fridge is down at design temperature.

Best to weigh in correct charge.
    I agree, weigh in is best method but that requires pulling vacuum which i did not have the equipment for.

Seems we have a shortage of willing refrigeration technicians where I live. They all just want to add refrigerant the way that I did and not the right way. I found one guy who does it the right way but he only does commercial work even know I begged him.

I'm going to check box temp tonight and look for visible frost. My concern right now is that it seems like it's running constantly and that will very much affect my electric bill.

---update---

I measured the freezer at -5f and the fridge at 36f. Seems like the compressor and fans never stop running. No frost on the return line. Minimal frost on the evap coil.

Concerned about the running all the time. Ideas?

-5F freezer & 36F fridge is good isn't it!
    Adjust thermostat to turn off, see how it goes.

Yes it's great. Thermostat is electronic and it just seems like it runs all the time. Did hear it turn off at one point for about 20 minutes, but then back on it went. Will replace it when it blows.