1950's prestcold fridge

I brought a 1950's prestcold fridge and it starts up but cuts out after a few seconds. If I change the temperature it kicks back in but then stops again. Any advice would be brilliant because I've ran a couple of engineers near me and they aren't interested given it's age.

Many thanks matty

Re: 1950's prestcold fridge

Really, you bought a 60 year old fridge and are surprised it doesn't work, Prestcold been out of business for a long time, so your never going to get parts for it. Cut your losses and put it where it belongs, on the tip. Will probably cost you money to have the refrigerant removed before the tip will take it. Now classed as BEYOND ECONOMICAL REPAIR.

Not surprised it doesn't work brought it for the look. Was actually surprised it had any sort of life at all tbh. Was just asking if anyone knew if it could be repaired or not. Thanks

Where abouts in the UK are you?
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

Scarborough North Yorkshire, in fact it makes a gurgling sound and cuts out and try's to kick back in. Would that be a problem with the gas?

Blog Entries

Change the starting equipment of compressor (capacitor, start relay, overload)! If you are lucky it may work.
    If it is ammonia inside, you even can repair it. Other way, it is illegal to repair refrigeration circuit if gas inside is on list of forbidden gases.

Thanks for the advice will check it all out. Will keep you posted

Post a Photo, some of us oldies might be able to identify it.
    Take photo from the back of the cabinet as well.
    Location, United Kingdom

Here's some pictures, sorry I've got it stripped at the minute and will be respraying it so, will post more once completed.
    Found the problem the freezer box has a hole on the pipe where the gas flows through. I'm guessing someone's tried defrosting it with a screwdriver. once I've fixed the hole will I need to fit a new compressor to refashion it. I'm guessing the compressor on it now won't take modern gas.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Since you are practically rebuilding it, it is best to fit entire new refrigeration circuit on modern gas R600A (new evaporator, new compressor, new condenser and new thermostat). That old components are probably rotten inside (no gas in circuit mean moist air has been inside for who knows how much) and prone to continuous leaks. Also, thermal insulation is old and in bad shape.
    If you are not in to it, than best is leave it as it is, without any repair of refrigeration circuit and without cooling function.

http://www.secop.com/products/compre...and-r600a.html
    Last edited by nike123; 05-02-2017 at 10:47 AM.