Anyone from the Uk? Need advice.

Hello I have been doing air con and fridge for 4 years now and I want to start doing private work on weekends but the problem im having is getting stuff like refrigerant. Ive always got it on accounts off of my main job when at work but if I wanted to do a weekend job how to I go about paying cash for it and where from. I looked on climate centers website and it says it costs over 1000 pound for a 10kg cylinder of 410 or any of the gasses? Surely thats not right.

Also my second problem is I did an Nvq level 2 and did a safe handling of flourinated gasses as parr of it but its not an f-gas course so I dont have an f-gas number so do I have to give them my certificate number for getting refrigerant as I dont have the short fgas number.

Re: Anyone from the Uk? Need advice.

Need to get an account then price will be around £100+VAT. List prices are normally wide of the mark.
    Easiest to get one on your company account if they'll let you as otherwise you need to open an account (might be able to open a cash account?) and show your own company F gas registration (£200ish) for which you need your own F gas certificate. Should have your own unless you are working with someone who has one so might pay to check that with your boss.
    Other practical ways are black market or nick it from the van and book it on a customer's job who doesn't let you have a cup of tea.

Cheers,
    Andy.

I have a certificate from when I did my Nvq level 2 it says
    Level 2 Nvq in installing, testing, maintaining air conditioning and heat pump systems.

Then says was successful in the following module

Level 2 handling flourinated gasses and ozone depleting substances category 1 personel D/502/0629

Its not an fgas but recognised and lets me do my job at work. So could I use the certificate number to somehow get an fgas or do I have to do it again outside of college.

Oh dear,
    Where to start...
    OK, let's start with what you think you want to know:
    Your certificate qualifies you to apply for Fgas registration, see http://fgasregister.com for details.
    (Your employer will be Fgas registered and you being suitably qualified and employed by a registered business let you handle refrigerants whilst at work)

BUT the big question in all of this is what your current employer would say about your planned weekend activity...
    For most employees it will be in their contract that any competitive employment (incl. as self employed) is a sackable offence.
    Will your weekend adventures be able to support you full time?

I wouldnt say it would support me my contrwct says I cant share trade secrets or company information or there clients doesnt say I cant work for myself when I have the time. I dont earn enough where I work so I want something on the side.
    Do I have to redo that training or is it evergreen like 2079.

If you are not earning enough where you work then move, whether it is stated in your contract or not what you are doing is, quite simply, illegal. Saying that i fully understand why you want to do it, but looking back on it i could never say that the extra few quid was worth the hassle. Saying that, this shower will sell to anyone:

http://www.eurorefrigerant.com/

Good luck, you've obviously got initiative, go to someone who will value it!
    Mostly found in the southern part of this green and pleasant land.

I have seen quite a few people recently with the
    F-gas qualification incorporated into the NVQ.

I have known quite a few who do the 2079 part again
    as a standalone qualification, because it is easier than
    trying to prove you are qualified.

As for the gas you have to be qualified and then registered
    with one of the three registration bodies, you then open an
    account with the wholesaler.

Rob
    .. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..

Id love to work for myself at some point as everywhere ive been seems to have no clue about time on jobs. As in it shouldnt take me more than 2 hours to evacuate and recharge a system. Maybe on a tiny fridge not on something with a big pipe run that takes a while to evacuate properly. The constant pressure and risking your lisence driving like a looney to get to your 4th job at the other end of london that youre at.

I havnt got as much experience as some people but 22k a year is shocking 18k after tax.

To be fair 4 or 5 private jobs could potentially be the same money as my whole months worth at my place. Considering they charge 40 an hour for my labour on site and 80 for the call out and i get 9 an hour for it.

Give these a read is you are seriously considering working for yourself, in fact they are worth a read anyway. You might be amazed how quickly the £40 an hour disappears on insurance, motoring costs, accountants, training, tools etc before it reaches your pocket.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Where-Did-M...5689268&sr=1-4

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/How...5689268&sr=1-1
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)