Actron Unit Tripping Breaker (Faulty Soft Starter)

Hi All,

First time posting here. I have a single phase Actron Air SRA-17C-1000 that is constantly tripping the breaker (~7yrs old with apparently minimal use). It was originally fitted with a 32A breaker, but this should have been a 40A breaker according to Actron's tech spec's (last page).

The incorrect breaker issue aside, I came across this thread by @Keza which seems to be the same the issues I am troubleshooting.

I have confirmed that the soft starter (Actron SS7R2) has blown as one of the onboard relays has blown out the back of the PCB (quite visible - see attached photos).

The original SS7 soft starter seems pretty old school (see photos) and according to Actron Controls, this has been superseded by the "SS9". After some research, I have been told that the SS9 is actually the Hyper Engineering Actron Model#2040-009 (seemingly an Actron specific derivative of the Hyper Engineering SureStart 6 which also has the contactor contained within it).

@Keza (I can't PM him for some reason?) - I just wanted to confirm that this was the actual soft start unit you replaced with in your similar issue last year? At the very least, this may help to provide some model numbers for others that may come across this issue - seems like it may be somewhat common to this model of A/C.

I am also curious to know if the older soft starter can be repaired as a temporary breakdown spare...the newer unit seems like a fail-and-dipose-of item, but the older one looks like it has some replaceable components.

Thanks,
    Ian

IMG_8939.jpg
    IMG_8940.jpg
    IMG_8941.jpg
    FullSizeRender 20.jpg

Re: Actron Unit Tripping Breaker (Faulty Soft Starter)

Hi mate,

Yep that's the exact problem I had and the exact replacement part I used and worked fine.
    The old one was blown out the back as well and I didn't bother trying to repair as repairing pcbs is sometimes more pain than it's worth.

Cheers, Keza