Fridge Isn't Cooling Porperly

Hey folks,

I'm Floyd and have been given your forum details by a fellow brewer over at jimsbeerkit.co.uk. I hoping that maybe one of you guys could help me fix my fridge problem. I'd be ever so grateful of any help / advice. Even if it's 'dump it Floyd!'.

OK... So here are the details

Make: Fridgemaster MTL55300 Freestanding Larder Fridge (http://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/...tanding-fridge)

Problem Compressor is on constantly and is really hot (around 55c) and when I turn the fridge off then back on again, after a few mins, I hear a click before the compressor kicks back in and fridge begins to hum again. The top back internal wall of the fridge reads between 4c -2c tops. So fridge seems to be cooling a bit, but no where near enough.

What I've done so far Have checked the start relay and compressor using a multimeter. All data came in on target according to several Youtube vids and online 'how to' websites. I've also cleaned the grill at the back which was pretty much spotless anyway. I removed the drip tray and cleaned the grill/piping there. Otherwise, fridge is spotless! Mystery...

Could it be a gas leak?

Any help/advice would be fantastic. It was a cheap enough fridge so not worth a call out charge.

Cheers!
    Floyd

Re: Fridge Isn't Cooling Porperly

Might be worth mentioning - wife has just reminded me that a day or 2 before this problem came to light, the fridge was freezing stuff at the back and there was ice on the top of the back wall.

Cheers

Sounds short of gas, time for a new one!
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

Hey MS. Thanks for reply.

Lesson learn - don't buy a cheap fridge! What would you consider to be a decent brand and how much do you think I should spend for something reliable?

Many thanks again.

Red face Re: Fridge Isn't Cooling Porperly

floydmeddler,
    Make sure door seal is sealing.
    When you open door you should be able to feel resistance to break the seal.
    Also maybe iced up due to door seal or auto defrost not working.
    Turn it off for a day with door open to melt any possible ice.
    Check water drain is not blocked with mould or a few pea's blocking drain allowing water to build up inside fridge causing possible freeze up.

If that does not help get a new one!
    If it works my fee is normally 228 pounds converted to Australian $ = $1000.00 ex GST
    Last edited by RANGER1; 02-01-2017 at 08:26 PM.

Hi Floyd. I had the same conundrum when we moved house last year and needed a new one. Last one was a built in Baumatic had it for 5 years and was still going strong when we left. In the end we went all out and got a Miele from John Lewis, Needed deep pockets, £700 vs around £500 for a Bosch vs £300ish for the cheap end of the market. From what I could see nothing is built to last, especially the Indesits, Hoover etc, just to a price and for easy manufacture. Miele have a good reputation and three years warranty. If it packs up after that then it doesn't look very clever to repair but hopefully chances are less. Lady in John Lewis said the Meile and Leibheer came from the same factory so same kit and cheaper (just not in silver!). Seemed better put together, cables at the back had special tracks to sit in, doors close themselves with a slight push. Moisture builds up on the freezer door seal which never had before, Miele no help. Just send a guy round and if no fault we cop the £90 charge so left it for now, moisture comes and goes. If it was me either go cheap and put it down to bad luck or go all out and hope like feck it lasts which you'd think it would but no saying it wont. Cheers and happy new year! Andy.
    Health and safety first..........unless I'm in a hurry.

If it is running R600a, problem could be a blocked Drier. Meh, 386 Bucks cost price...probably not worth it.
    Last edited by mikeref; 03-01-2017 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Bucks = AUD
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

Cheers gents!! Thanks for all the help and advice. Left it off for over 24 hrs. Still knackered! End of the road for this heap of s*it!

Right... time to spend some money. YAAAAAAY!

The joys...