Hello all,

I’ve been curious about this question for a while now. I’m looking for a Recovery Unit and I recently settled on my choice between one or two machines.

However, regardless of what I choose, it’s my view that it is essential to buy new. That is the only way to ensure that it hasn’t been abused and that I’m buying something free of faults.

My trainer who I did my F Gas Training with also said that it’s possible to make a faulty machine appear ok at first, especially to the uninitiated. That is, it may switch on and operate but it’s not until actually recovering refrigerant that it shows its faults. Can anyone explain/elaborate further on what he may have been referring to?

That said, I can’t ignore that there’s quite a choice on, yes I’m going to say it: ebay. They do sell as well. It’s not like they all end up unsold, so they must be ok mustn’t they?

And sometimes there has been the temptation to put a bid in, but I have resisted, sticking to my original golden rule. I look at them on there more for research purposes than anything.

So are these sales all to the first-time, green, inexperienced engineers who are about to learn a valuable lesson in buying 2nd hand?

Or is it unrealistic to have the view that all 2nd hand equipment is faulty and that experienced people are buying them too?

I suppose the thing is, you must be able to test it first – otherwise I have to conclude that if you can’t be sure, then it must be viewed with suspicion as being possibly faulty. Caveat emptor and all that...

So just to reiterate, the question is: would you buy a 2nd hand recovery machine or is it new every time? (assuming you can’t test the 2nd hand one before hand as in the case of an ebay buy)

And a secondary question: What faults is it possible for a machine to have that would render it “useless”? I suppose what I’m wondering is: if these are sturdy items of equipment, if the sales brochures are to be believed, what kind of use (or abuse) is the most common destroyer of recovery machines?

I’d be very interested in the views of the more experienced people than myself and any discussion on the subject between members.

PS: Apologies if not in the correct forum.

Regards
Mark