Thread: Chiller Fault

Chiller Fault

Couldn't decide whether to post this thread here or in troubleshooting section ?

York chiller, dreaded fault code-the usual LOW CURR/MP/HP. Chiller doesn't start on the problem circuit, just a couple of clicks and out on the fault, maybe after about 5 seconds. I thought it must have been the mecahnical HP switch when I got there, so had a look, but it had't tripped (pressed the reset but it was already in). Now usually I would have thought that a motor protection fault would not still be there as the compressor (a screw one) was not hot. If there had been another problem I had expected the chiller to start up for at least a few seconds before any current faults could have been detected, so as no current was ever drawn as the contactor never pulled in, I think perhaps the HP switch must have an open fault.

HELP please.
    Thanks
    James

PS I was only asked to look on way home so due to time being a bit short was only there 30 minutes and then we had a thunderstorm.

a problem shared is a problem halved

Re: Chiller Fault

Hi James,

Been a long time since I saw a York chiller now, but one thing worth checking is whether or not both red leds in the top right of the board are lit, which is the big one in the centre compartment behind the display (or it is on the older machines) . This will tell you whether the mp modules are ok. Also in there may be 2 quick blow fuses which are worth checking. The hp switch should be easy to check, failing that you may need to get a drawing.

Hope this helps a bit

Re: Chiller Fault

This is one of the millenium chillers with the microprocessor board. It doesn't have the LED's but I reckon, having reflected on it, that I can sort it out on Tuesday. If the HP has continuity, then it's the mp module, or a phase problem.

Cheers
    James
    a problem shared is a problem halved