Thread: Grimsby Ice

Smile Grimsby Ice

http://www.coolingpost.com/features/...rozen-in-time/

I don't know that this has not been posted elsewhere but its go some very interesting photos displayed. Note link to Part 1; 3-parts total.

Re: Grimsby Ice

Quote Originally Posted by sterl View Post
    http://www.coolingpost.com/features/...rozen-in-time/

I don't know that this has not been posted elsewhere but its go some very interesting photos displayed. Note link to Part 1; 3-parts total.

It's always good to see where we have come from, how much has
    changed and yet how much is the same.

I was taken around the plant as an apprentice and my lasting memory
    was the sheer size.... I had the privilege of working with one of the engineers
    from the ice factory years later and although he never remembered, I always
    remembered that he was the one who gave us the guided tour.

I reminded him about it many, many years later.

They are trying to raise money to turn it into a museum but it looks like
    it will be knocked down to make way for apartment blocks........

Rob

.. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..

Hi Rob
    Just had a read of the Grimsby Ice plant. I had just started as an office boy at J&E Hall Dartford in 1963 and one of my jobs was putting up health and safety notices in the various shops in the factory. I remember watching the last High Speed quad machine casting being poured in the Heavy foundry. A further one had to be cast as the first one cracked. Over the next few weeks I watched the crankcase the crankshaft and various components being machined in the South Machine shop and then when it was being built in the South Fitting shop. I watched the main bearings being blued and then the white
    metal bearings being scraped along with the big end bearings and the pistons being aligned in the bores. The fitter a nice old chap named Harry showed me all over the machine. But the craftsmanship that went into building those machines left me in awe of the engineers involved. That machine went to eitherGrimsby or Hull.
    After i finished my apprenticeship as a coppersmith/fitter and left the factory I later went to work at HTIServices Lewisham. One of my jobs was in the Houses of Parliament which had one of these High Speed Quads working down in the bowels of Parliament. It did the a/c for the House. It had R 12 as its refrigerant. I had to do a strip and overhaul of the machine fantastic experience. Like many old buildings we worked in, the basement was coated in blue asbestos and all we were told was don't touch the walls or ceiling maybe that will be resurrected when the buildings get there make over in the next few years

Interesting Glenn

No wonder it'll cost about 10 billion :-)

Rob
    .. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..

Now we can see old factories been transformed into a shopping mall. That is the only way to connect people to history.