Hotpoint HM 325 FF - freezer gets 'warm'

We have had this integrated FF for 2 1/2 yrs without any trouble. then a month ago we noticed that the ice cream was quite soft. So I placed a digital thermometer inside the freezer and found out that it was only minus 8 degrees.

I googled the problem and decided to empty the whole machine and let it defrost for 48 hrs. Then switched it back ON and set the thermo knob to 3 (its been set at 2 for the previous 2 1/2 yrs)

I have monitored the freezer temperature for 2 weeks now and the temp fluctuates from minus 23 up to minus 8 / minus 9. It seems that the compressor comes on for a hour or two once the temp gets 'high' and takes it back to minus 21 - 22 ish , then goes off for a hour or so and once we get back to a warmer minus 8,9, 10 ish cuts in again .

This cant be right and of course its making the fridge part VERY cold at times. I have had bottles of water partially freeze now.

I am not techie in any way but this does sound like either a thermostat problem or a 'motherboard' problem. Unfortunately I cant find any real help specific to the model. I cant even find an engineers repair manual to even find where the thermostat is located.

Hotpoint want £110 to come out and repair but talking to them they are not interested in troubleshooting. All they want to do is send an engineer to me on the basis of the freezer isnt working properly. so he might well arrive without the correct parts.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated, thanks

Any ideas

Re: Hotpoint HM 325 FF - freezer gets 'warm'

Fridge/ freezer went back to -21 C after it had 2 days turned off. Was there any water to clean up around the Appliance during that down time? Is this a Frost Free side by side or Freezer on top, Fridge below? So many combinations.... Yours could be a French door with the freezer below.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeref View Post
    Fridge/ freezer went back to -21 C after it had 2 days turned off. Was there any water to clean up around the Appliance during that down time? Is this a Frost Free side by side or Freezer on top, Fridge below? So many combinations.... Yours could be a French door with the freezer below.
    No water that I could see but of course as its an integrated FF I cannot see whats at 'the back'.

Its a normal Fridge on top Freezer at the bottom integrated appliance. See here:
    http://www.hotpoint.co.uk/appliances...white/F083838/

OK. Frost Free Freezer with a Static Evaporator. That means your Fridge Thermostat is responsible for both compartments. If your thermostat is Mechanical, it will be a relatively easy change.
    If the thermostat is a sensor sending resistance values to the PCB....that will be another path. IE: will it be the sensor or the PCB be failing to recognize pre programmed values.

What does this mean?
    You will have to call a Refrigeration Engineer.
    Last edited by mikeref; 07-11-2016 at 10:23 AM. Reason: One should proof read Mike.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.