Natural gas generator

Recently, visited one cold storage. To reduce energy costs, they decided to install natural gas generator and disconnect from the grid. This approach is surprising for me, because company has done limited actions to reduce energy use. Anybody heard about this approach.

Re: Natural gas generator

do they need a lot of heat/hot water ?

if they do, and they're already running gas heating for it, then it's well worth suing a combined heat and power system

depending on the temperature you need to heat water to, for the same amount of gas the used to use, they can get about the same amount of heat but lots of 'free' electric too

most I've seen (tho non seen in person) use inverters (like solar systems) to connect to the grid, so they keep their grid connection. excess generated power is exported... if they're not generating enough power is imported

This is cold storage and they don't need a lot of heat. Recently, energy price in Ontario went up because of expensive renewable energy. To keep energy costs relatively stable, they want to switch to gas generator. Right now price natural gas is relatively low, but it will go up because it contributes to global warming. I think to improve energy efficiency is better way to go.

Thanks for sharing.