hello fellow fridgies!

hello!

Just found the forum while browsing the interwebs and thought I might as well join up.

I have been doing a bit of study on the internet lately to try and refresh myself a bit. Ive been out of the trade for 5 years playing soldiers in the Army and looking at discharging next year and getting my hands back on the tools.

Before the army I worked for a service company where we worked on a lot of large air conditioning plant in hospitals and large shopping centres and schools etc. I also did some installing at the beginning of my apprenticeship. Pretty nervous about getting back into it as after 5 years away I'm not sure how much I'm going to remember..

Does anyone know if there are any companies in Australia that do work internationally? I'd love to go and work in Asia or something like that. I knew a guy that used to go off to Korea to do commissioning jobs...

At the moment though I'll be looking for something around Perth or up in the mines if possible.
    Last edited by eskylid; 28-09-2016 at 08:10 PM.

Re: hello fellow fridgies!

Welcome to the forum.

I would have thought Australia is a good a place as anywhere to
    get an AC job, I hear they have nice weather occasionally.................

I'm from the UK so can't offer much advice re the jobs in Asia but I'm
    sure they are crying out for good engineers.

Fridge is like riding a bike once you get back on it will soon come back
    to you what to do.

Get training and get your qualifications, I know Aus requires mandatory
    qualifications for working with refrigerants (like the EU) so look at gaining
    those quals.

Rob
    .. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..

It's good to have another brother in the fold. Welcome back.

Australia has State licensing, so whichever state you end up in, check out their licensing requirements on the appropriate webpage. They usually require a Arctick refrigerant handling license (another indirect tax) and confirmation (some sort of document) that you have completed a refrigeration mechanic's apprenticeship. You pay a whole stack of money and presto! - you have a ticket to practice your art.

Whatever happens, I wish you all the best. Australia and Asia beckon.

The future is so bright, I need a welding mask!

Richie

Cheers lads!

I completed my apprenticeship in West oz. Just need to renew my refrigerant license with proof of qualification and ill be good to go! I even thought about going to work in the U.K for a bit as I have family there.