Refrigeration Principles

Hi guys im a 3rd year apprentice from australia. And this seems like the best place anywhere on the web to talk with people who might be able to stop me going crazy lol

I read a book this week while at training, called refrigeration principles. By Dossat. It was on the desk in the class as we had a slow week. One of my lectureres says its a good book. A lot of their ideas seem to be from that book. My comprehension and belief that being able to apply these fundamentals to the real world changed the whole outlook on refrigeration servicing... and why it breaks down, and asjusting one thing can throw oht the balance elsewhere in the system. It blew my mind.

It actually gives me a really decent reference to go by.

The only problem is. Bouncing the ideas around and trying to talk about different concepts with the lecturers..it seemed as though it was a book in their room they had nfi what was going on or what I was talking about or the conclusions I was drawing.

I feel kind of embarrassed now that i might have wasted a big part of my time reading a book that is potentially pointless. Because reading on different thread that a principle is only tha, a pt chart is only a snapshot.. And in the real world running its different. So now im second guesing myself

Can I apply these to the real world.

Help! I feel perhaps i might of done myself out of a service. after yesterday
    Last edited by Rensei; 16-09-2016 at 10:58 AM.

Re: Refrigeration Principles

Hi Rensei,
    The book Principles of refrigeration by R.J.Dossat is one of the classics to teach Refrigeration at University level, so, yes, it's a good book. Maybe to learn by yourself it can be "heavy".
    I believe it's important to understand the thoretical principles to understand how one fact in on element influences the other elements of a system. One refrigeration circuit is a system, anything happening in the compressor influences what happens in the evaporator and in the condenser...
    Another thing is trying to aply the concepts to the real world before understanding them...
    But believe me, knowlege is never pointless

Dossat, " Principles of Refrigeration " should be a standard text book for apprentices.
    Great that you the initiative to read it. My copy is twenty plus years old dog eared and falling apart as it is constantly used.
    Last edited by Magoo; 17-09-2016 at 12:37 AM. Reason: additinal

In my humble opinion having read that book I would suggest reading TECH Method by our very own forum member Gary.
    It really makes the whole mystic of refrigeration very simple to understand.

Hi eggs.
    there are no real mystics or what ever in refrigeration. It is called heat in and heat out, just moving heat around efficiently. That's what most techs cannot grasp. The basic refrigeration cycle and system balance. No different from a bob basic refrigerator at home the principles are the same with a multi what ever industrial/ cascade system what ever. Just that the bitz get bigger and more complexed.
    Unfortunately most techs are parts replacers until problems is sorted.
    I have the uppermost respect for Gary, but have not purchased his download .

Hi Rensei
    I have to agree with Magoo. I have that book and it was the first book I had when I was doing my TAFE course. It like Magoo's is old and tattered but I still refer to it from time to time. It is the second edition and I have had it for about 37 years.
    And as cduque said knowledge is never pointless. I have never read Tech Method but Gary is very knowledgeable.
    You may find the lecturers have little experience in certain fields of refrigeration so tend not to discuss.
    Don't ever feel embarrassed about reading a book that could increase your knowledge.
    Stay on this forum and discuss your different concepts and you will learn as much here as you will at TAFE.
    Regards
    Paul
    Born to fish, forced to work

I was a teacher in Refrigeration and used this book daily, one of the best on my bookshelf
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

I know it's a lot of work but it's a pity that such a good piece of refrigeration history will disappear, would you consider scanning it and upload it to the net?