1980's Climate Chamber Refurb

Hi All,

We have recently taken delivery of a rather dated piece of kit in a hope that we can give it a new lease of life.

We have a Heraeus Votsch VM08 capable of cycling temperatures at -80/+180°C which we got for a very reasonable price on ebay (groans all round...)

The unit was built in 1989 and used R22 and R13, both of which are obviously banned. There is a note under the nameplate which states it was filled with R23 at some point, presumably replacing the R13. If the system still has R22 inside and does need charging, is there a suitable alternative that will work in the same loop?

We appear to have some warnings and more when we turn the thing on, is there anyone that has a knowledge of these here? Forgive me, but i am not a refrigeration engineer and actually joined the forum when i purchased a vapochill pc case...

The company i work for are very keen to get this bit of kit up and running, we are based in Norfolk, UK so if anyone can be of any assistance, even to point us in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated. If you need further information, picture or anything, please just ask.

Thanks in advance,
    James

Re: 1980's Climate Chamber Refurb

You can replace R-22 with R-422D.

On that cascade r23 more expensive gas but current and convert the 22 to 404 new Tev new oil if going to do correct change comp on r22to 404 the 404 works well with 23 I would not go r23 and r22 drop in .......votch chambers fault on start up depending how set up ie power also watch um on oil they will alarm on oil regular if been lied up u will need to clean oil strainers

Hi James,

Well that model is quite old but if it works its a stabile and easy to use.

The first stage should be filled up with r404 and the second stage with r23.

You can contact Weiss uk that are the local reseller in U.K. And also the manufacturer (but they are made in Germany)

United Kingdom

Weiss Technik UK
    32 Rassau Industrial Estate
    Ebbw Vale, Gwent NP23 5SD

Fon: +44 1495 305555
    Fax: +44 1495 303595
    e-mail: info@weiss-uk.com
    web: http://www.weiss-uk.com

United Kingdom

Weiss Technik UK
    Units 37 - 38, The Technology Centre,
    Epinal Way, Loughborough, Leicestershire
    LE11 3GE

Fon: +44 1509 631590
    Fax: +44 1509 211133
    e-mail: info@weiss-uk.com
    web: http://www.weiss-uk.com

Good luck 🙂

And why do I know this? I work for the reseller in Sweden 😁

Quote Originally Posted by funkybrown View Post
    Hi All,

We have recently taken delivery of a rather dated piece of kit in a hope that we can give it a new lease of life.

We have a Heraeus Votsch VM08 capable of cycling temperatures at -80/+180°C which we got for a very reasonable price on ebay (groans all round...)

The unit was built in 1989 and used R22 and R13, both of which are obviously banned. There is a note under the nameplate which states it was filled with R23 at some point, presumably replacing the R13. If the system still has R22 inside and does need charging, is there a suitable alternative that will work in the same loop?

We appear to have some warnings and more when we turn the thing on, is there anyone that has a knowledge of these here? Forgive me, but i am not a refrigeration engineer and actually joined the forum when i purchased a vapochill pc case...

The company i work for are very keen to get this bit of kit up and running, we are based in Norfolk, UK so if anyone can be of any assistance, even to point us in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated. If you need further information, picture or anything, please just ask.

Thanks in advance,
    James